35 year no support

Status
Not open for further replies.

keller6405

My mother had no contact with my father after I was born. I am now 35 and have never met him. I was told that my mother can still collect or I can still collect back paid support. we have never filed for anything, but my mother is in finanical ruins and could use the help. I live in Colorado and my Mother lives in Chicago (were my father lives). Is this still possible?

You cannot collect anything. CS is owed to the parent, not the child. You might have a claim on his estate if he passes away but that is it.

It probably is too late. she should have filed and taken action before you turned 18, but she should see an attorney but it is probably to late.

My Emmy award winning father also never paid a penny

How interesting, me too. I am 37 and my father never ever paid a red penny in child support for me. Oh he may have purchased a couple of dinners for me and paid for one hair cut. That honestly is just about all he ever paid for. My mother was told the same, that if I am over 18, she has no claim to make for the past due/arrears in child support. She had a case here in New York, but my father moved to New Jersey to avoiod paying the child support, so eventually her case was closed. That was the legal scenario back then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back