34 years later Federal Government says I owe money

Status
Not open for further replies.

jclg

At age 50 I have decided to go back to college. I filled out the Federal Aid form and recieved a print out from my financial aid office stating that because I am in default of a student lolan I cannot recieve federal aid.
I last attended college in 1977 or 78 and to the best of my knowledge have never applied for a student loan. If I were indeed in default why have I never been contacted? Why haven't my tax returns been withheld?
There was an address to contact in Texas, but before I make any contact I would like to know how I should proceed. Much is riding on this as without the aid my chances of completing my degree are slim. Incidenatally, I am currently unemployed so I would be entitled to a significant amount of aid.

Did you by chance co-sign for a son or daughter?

There was an address to contact in Texas, but before I make any contact I would like to know how I should proceed.

I can understand your apprehension, yet you should contact them to clarify and learn the full extent of the situation. With this knowledge you will be in a much better position in order to proceed.

Did you by chance co-sign for a son or daughter?
Ouch... very good point. The overwhelming majority of people who come here have the same problem - they forget about the joint or co-signing of a loan that they performed as a good deed for someone not creditworthy and then they hear about the problem many years later.... good luck. I hope it works out for you and that there was a mistake.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back