$300,000.00 in arrears from child support

Status
Not open for further replies.

maeve

My children's father and I had an agreement in court, saying he would pay $800.00 a week to child the support collection unit. Needless to say he never sent a payment to them. He is in arrears over $300,000.00. He has given me money here and there, in person, and even lived with us for a while and took care of the bills. Last year I had to go to Social Services for help and thankfully received it. Now he's asking me to wipe away the arrears so he can get a license and get some credit in return he will give me $1700.00 a week. Sure. But not through the Support Collection unit. Because he doesn't want to be taxed. He always works off the books. He owns a company with a partner but my children and his partners wife are on as owners. I know I'm not going to get the $300,000.00 from him. But he said I won't get a dime if I do not get rid of the arrears. Some one told me about a personal lien. I might be able to get rid of the arrears but he would still be responsible? So if in the future he had anything of value in his name (which he doesn't) like a house and sold it , I could get something from that. True? Please help me with some advice? Thank you for your time.

I don't understand why you would even consider his proposal. He was court-ordered to pay you through CSE, and never did. He put his business in his children's names to avoid paying. Unless your children are adults, how can they be listed as partial owners of the business? Do they even benefit from the business? Frankly, he sounds completely dishonest.

If you forgive the arrears, what will make him pay you $1700 per month? Do you think you can trust him to keep his word? Also, why would he ever own anything in his name? He would undoubtedly put any major purchase in his children's or his business's name. Then you still couldn't touch it, even with a lien.

You also cannot forgive the arrears that he owes to the state from the aid you received.

I suggest you contact the CSE or your state's DA (or whoever enforces child support orders in your state) to see what else can be done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back