30 day notice... please help

Status
Not open for further replies.

jhunter86

the place where im renting now, they moved in some bitter old neighbors that make it very un-plessant to stay, ive already found another place to move but they want me moved in in 2 weeks! can i pay 2 weeks rent at my current place if im month to month with-out the full 30day notice? please help, thank you

in california; is now month to month...
i wrote the manager a letter about the neighbors and the distress on my gf and a check for the pro-rated amount til feb 10th... thank you Gail in Georgia

If you are a month to month tenant (i.e., you pay the rent once a month), you need to give 30 days notice and pay for the entire 30 days, even if you move out early. Unless your landlord agrees to the pro-rated rent, you don't get to decide to do this just because you're moving out early.

Giving 30 days notice to end a month to month tenancy means you are financially responsible for those entire 30 days.

Gail

what about the pro-rated amount plus the $700 deposit? would that work? with the letter of distress and also if the deposit plus the pro-rated amount (from feb 1st - feb 10th) summed up to be the full amout of rent? and if this wasnt plauseable, is a landlord able to over look the 30day notice?

thank you again gail for your help

I'm assuming you mean the security deposit.

A security deposit is provided to cover any damages above normal wear and tear at the time the tenant moves out of the rental unit. The landlord can, if they wish use it as owed rent but it is up to the landlord to approve this, not the tenant.

Legally, having unpleasant neighbors is not a reason to break a lease (if you were on a longer lease). A landlord can overlook the 30 day notice if THEY wish to but if they don't, they can consider legal action against you for rent owed until the 30 day period is complete.

Gail

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back