Owner Change 3 year old lease got transferred from my friend to my name

kapeskittu

Jurisdiction
Illinois
Hi,

Firstly, i appreciate for creating the forum and helping people to understand law.

Around six months back, My friend who got a home on lease for 3 years on his name has transferred it on to my name after completing 3 years and i signed the lease to continue for 6 months after that. I do not know what the transferring of the lease will effect me at that time. Lease is going to end this month and when i contacted Apartment Management about termination of lease, i got a clarification that what ever the damage and maintenance charges that all 3 years my friend was liable is now transferred on to me and i will be liable for everything.

I asked my friend about the same and he is not giving proper response now. I want my friend to pay all the charges that he was liable actually. Is it legally possible to make him pay for this?

Thanks,
Krishnaprasad Kattula.

I asked my friend about the same and he is not giving proper response now. I want my friend to pay all the charges that he was liable actually. Is it legally possible to make him pay for this?

Your questions are answered in the paragraph you wrote prior to your last paragraph.

Your "friend" screwed you.

It doesn't matter what you want, you'll get what you agreed to do.

You assumed the lease your clever "friend" created, and you also assumed all of your clever "friend's" liabilities.

You can want whatever you want, you're still on the hook for any damages your "more clever than you FRIEND" TOM SAWYERED you into signing!!!!

Back