3 questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

rroberts509

I am coming to the end of my lease in a house I am going to move out of my landlord wants me to sign a new year lease. I currently don't have the money to move out but will in a couple of months. I have expressed this to my landlord, who says the owner wants a year lease or nothing. Can they force me to move out if I am willing to pay my rent month to month?

Also we have been paying an extra $30 per month for a dog we had to put down 4 months into the lease. I told them and asked about dropping the rent that amount. I was kinda of jerked around the landlord company told me it was up to the owner of the home and the owner told me it was up to the landlord company. I just dropped it am I withing my rights to ask for that money back?

Finally, one of the windows was cracked when we move in. Unfortunately in the pictures I took you can not see the crack. Over time with the house's natural flexing the crack has made a complete circle (or more rectangular but shape isn't important here) and over the weekend part of the window has dropped out am I responsible for replacing that or payng for if it is due to no fault of mine?

Any input would be great thanks.

The landlord is allowed to give you that choice once your current lease expires.

The court will not force him to go month-to-month, even if you can pay your rent.

You can try to reclaim the pet surcharge - I hate to ask this, but do you have proof that your furbaby was euthanised?

A cracked window is not usually considered normal wear and tear; if you can't prove it was like that to start with you're going to be charged for it.

Roberts:

WA State is sort of unique when it comes to the end of term on your lease.

There are some actions you must take, and the landlord must take.

It appears you might want to offer to extend your lease by 60 or 90 days.

You must make an offer that is exact.

You can't say you need or want to stay a few more weeks, for example.

You also need to make sure you fully understand the lease you signed last year.

That governs what can happen now, plus state law in WA.

If no agreement can be reached and codified, you'll have to leave.

If you don't voluntarily leave, you'll probably be evicted.

If that happens, your chances of ever renting a decent home or apartment will be diminished by at least 98%.

Start by reading the information in these links:

http://www.tenantsunion.org/en/rights/termination-of-tenancy1

This appears to match your situation, OP.

Tenants on term leases for specific time periods are expected to vacate the unit at the end of the lease, unless the tenancy is explicitly extended in the lease or in written agreement with the landlord (RCW 59.18.220).

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=59.18.220

RCW 59.18.220
Termination of tenancy for a specified time — Armed forces exception.

(1) In all cases where premises are rented for a specified time, by express or implied contract, the tenancy shall be deemed terminated at the end of such specified time.

(2) Any tenant who is a member of the armed forces, including the national guard and armed forces reserves, or that tenant's spouse or dependent, may terminate a tenancy for a specified time if the tenant receives reassignment or deployment orders. The tenant shall provide notice of the reassignment or deployment order to the landlord no later than seven days after receipt.

If the lease does not go month-to-month automatically or is otherwise extended the landlord does not need to give notice for you to move out at the end of the lease term, even under the Just Cause ordinance.

This is also an informative read.

It is published by The Washington State Bar.

http://wsba.org/News-and-Events/Pub...umer Info Pamphlets/Landlord Tenant 0211.ashx

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back