Harassment, Stalking, Misconduct 3 misdemeanor counts of harassment 1 email harassment count

ThomasWA

Jurisdiction
Maryland
I am the victim in the case mentioned above. I had a DV protection order against my abuser. They violated the order by contacting me electronically through email and social media while living in WA state and received a years probation for disorderly conduct three months into the order. The DV protection order expired mid 2017. Fast forward a year...I've moved out of state and this person found out my employer and where I live in Maryland. I resigned from my employer because I didn't want the hassle of dealing with them. But I also went to the state police and told them the situation and provided proof of all the emails, phone calls and other harassment since December of 2017. The states attorney filed charges against this person for three misdemeanor counts of harassment and one count of electronic email harassment. When I had my old lawyer in WA, they found out that my ex had four prior restraining orders against them not including mine.

With all this happening again, it seems like a bad nightmare. My ex has hired local counsel in MD to reprrsere them and defend himself against the charges brought against him by the DA.

My question is simple: what happens from here? I've been contacted by the DV advocate in my local court system and said a trial date will be forthcoming. Can the state use the prior restraining orders against this person such as the one he broke with me?

Just kinda scared...any advice please.

what happens from here?

For a misdemeanor or two, even ten; not much.

Perhaps probation, surely a fine (the state has to make its cut), perhaps a little jail time (not at all likely in larger urban areas), that's about all.

The history on these types of things is usually the same, not much happens to the perpetrator until the victim is stabbed, shot, raped, maimed, or even killed.

If I were you, I'd work closely with your advocate to learn some strategies with which you could better conceal yourself.

It won't hurt to AVOID social media altogether.

If you must use social media, use a nom de plume, never use your real identity even if you aren't being stalked.

There are some services out there that can help to scrub your name from the Internet. Some work better than others so shop around. I did this once when I started working in law enforcement and didn't want crooks knowing where I live. After awhile when I searched for myself online I just wasn't out there. In time, especially after I bought a new home I started to reappear, so it has to be done every now and then.

As for social media, try using an alias or at least don't use your full name.

In the end, just remember restraining orders dodon stop unwanted behavior, they just give a means to take action if the behavior continues. Report every violation every time.

I guess drilling down a bit, is the local DA is allowed to use past, out of state restraining orders against him? I know most cases like this are please out...but I'm curious if they will give it more thought to the prior cases he has against him.

I guess drilling down a bit, is the local DA is allowed to use past, out of state restraining orders against him?

Even gutless worms who bully, harass, and annoy decent people enjoy the constitutional protection of "innocent until proven guilty" with each new charge they accumulate.

The "prior bad acts" this worm may have caused previous convictions can only be used insofar as sentencing is concerned.

However, with misdemeanors, even a dozen new misdemeanors the prior bad acts and convictions will do very little harm.

A misdemeanor conviction means weeks or months in jail, not prison.

The evil, vile, filthy, little worm at the most; (if convicted) will do at most 364 days in some county jail.

In all likelihood, the little invertebrate will at worst probably just get more probation, if anything.

That's what I'm afraid of. I found out that this has been "par for the course" for him. Everyone relationship he has been in he harasses them and uses their careers against them: me being gay, I'm a "pedophile" his other ex since he was a doctor..."HIPPA" violations, et cetera....

I guess you're correct, this will only stop when I'm dead.

this will only stop when I'm dead.

There are ways to disappear, and not be dead.

You could work in another country, a territory of the USA, or work self employed unde ran assumed name.

You could simply change your name, LEGALLY.

You might be able to get a new social security number and establish another legal identity.

Your victim assistance counselor can help you.

You will have to limit information about your REAL life to your parents and siblings, if you trust them, otherwise tell no one.

There are legal ways to hide in plain sight, but you'll have to make a few changes.

There are ways to disappear, and not be dead.

You could work in another country, a territory of the USA, or work self employed unde ran assumed name.

You could simply change your name, LEGALLY.

You might be able to get a new social security number and establish another legal identity.

Your victim assistance counselor can help you.

You will have to limit information about your REAL life to your parents and siblings, if you trust them, otherwise tell no one.

There are legal ways to hide in plain sight, but you'll have to make a few changes.

Working in another country is not dooable as i haveha family here. Becoming self-employed isn't dooable because I can't afford it. I could change my name (has been thought of in the past year or so) but again...that is a matter of public record.

Why is it that people can get away with this crap like nothing ever happens? Don't these prosecutors look-up records in other states and use that information to nail the perp to the wall?

Working in another country is not dooable as i haveha family here. Becoming self-employed isn't dooable because I can't afford it. I could change my name (has been thought of in the past year or so) but again...that is a matter of public record.

Why is it that people can get away with this crap like nothing ever happens? Don't these prosecutors look-up records in other states and use that information to nail the perp to the wall?

In a word, MISDEMEANOR.

Misdemeanors aren't treated as importantly as FELONIES.

Sad, but true.

You can ghost yourself.

That's probably your best, easiest, cheapest solution.

I'm looking into making myself go away. I also recently found out that he doxxed me and plastered my name all over the dark web on one of those Tor/Onion sites saying all sorts of crap about me. Pretty scary. Not much I can do about being removed from th dark web. Ugh. Practically kills my teaching career for a while.

I'm looking into making myself go away. I also recently found out that he doxxed me and plastered my name all over the dark web on one of those Tor/Onion sites saying all sorts of crap about me. Pretty scary. Not much I can do about being removed from th dark web. Ugh. Practically kills my teaching career for a while.

You might be able to sue the pervert civilly.

It is worth discussing the proposition with three or four local attorneys.

You potentially have a cause of action in that his lies are damaging to your ability to earn a living in your chosen profession.

No guarantees, mind you, but an intellectual discussion does occupy one's mind with positive thoughts.

You might be able to sue the pervert civilly.

It is worth discussing the proposition with three or four local attorneys.

You potentially have a cause of action in that his lies are damaging to your ability to earn a living in your chosen profession.

No guarantees, mind you, but an intellectual discussion does occupy one's mind with positive thoughts.

If he had anything to sue over, I would've already done that. He got himself on some type of disability insurance and is not working anymore.

If he had anything to sue over, I would've already done that. He got himself on some type of disability insurance and is not working anymore.

Well, then the best thing you can do for yourself is disappear.

Only give your details to TRUSTED relatives and friends.

If you must provide a phone number to your employer, potential employers, etc... buy and use a cheap burner phone.

Change your email, real phone, address, and keep that secret, revealing it only to trusted people.

You could use a PO Box as your address.

These days the USPS allows this format for PO Boxes:

Mr. Hide N. Out
1234 Easy St
LIL City, Big State 99999

Back