Criminal Records, Expungement 3 misdemeamors in GA? please help

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnsgeorgia

In 1993 I was charged felony w/ Marajuana Manufacturing. The charges were dropped to misdemeanor possession and I pleaded no-lo. Almost exactly 1 yr later in 94 or so I was caught with some friends smoking marajuana and although I did not personally have anything illegal on me, the officer had other police witnesses who saw me smoke and I recieved another misdemeanor poss. charge. A few months later in 94' I missed a meeting w/ my probation officer and was charged with another misdemeanor. I realize I broke the law but for the life of me I can't understand how I'm supposed to pay for these minor infractions for the rest of my life. I served time, paid fines, and a successfully completed the Drug and Alcohol awareness programs. I just had a good job offer withdrawn because they found my record and I didn't disclose it on the application because I thought those records were sealed in GA after 7 yrs. Does anyone know if these records are going to show up forever when employers check my background? Any chance of my getting these expunged? How in the hell am I supposed to find a job when any employer that sees my record is going to assume I'm some criminal drug addict, which I most definitely am not. Where do I go from here? Thank you for any helpful responses.

Originally posted by johnsgeorgia:
In 1993 I was charged felony w/ Marajuana Manufacturing. The charges were dropped to misdemeanor possession and I pleaded no-lo. Almost exactly 1 yr later in 94 or so I was caught with some friends smoking marajuana and although I did not personally have anything illegal on me, the officer had other police witnesses who saw me smoke and I recieved another misdemeanor poss. charge. A few months later in 94' I missed a meeting w/ my probation officer and was charged with another misdemeanor. I realize I broke the law but for the life of me I can't understand how I'm supposed to pay for these minor infractions for the rest of my life. I served time, paid fines, and a successfully completed the Drug and Alcohol awareness programs. I just had a good job offer withdrawn because they found my record and I didn't disclose it on the application because I thought those records were sealed in GA after 7 yrs. Does anyone know if these records are going to show up forever when employers check my background? Any chance of my getting these expunged? How in the hell am I supposed to find a job when any employer that sees my record is going to assume I'm some criminal drug addict, which I most definitely am not. Where do I go from here? Thank you for any helpful responses.
I am unaware of the law. Perhaps they saw the history, e.g. arrests.

Eligibility sealing or expungement of records will vary from state to state. Generally, the procedure is as follows:
  • Written application to seal record filed with Court
  • Original sentence must have been served
  • Applicant is facing no new charges
  • Note: The applicant faces the burden to prove that any probation requirements have been fulfilled
Additional Requirements to Seal or Expunge Records:
  • Most felonies not eligible for expungement
  • Most sex offenses not eligible for sealing
  • Sealing typically applicable to juvenile offenses and or misdemeanors
  • If acquitted (found "not guilty" after trial) you can automatically have records sealed
  • Some states permit a prior sealed conviction to be used in sentencing for repeat offenses

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back