2nd degree agg. assault; lawyer or public defender?

Status
Not open for further replies.

abstractwhite

My boyfriend got charged with 2nd degree aggrivated assault. His bond was $13,000 and I could have gotten him out but he had 4 bench warrents. He's now in parish prison for three months contempt.
After he completes the three months, will I be able to bail him out?
Will his bail decrease?
Should I go ahead and pay it?
Should I try and get him a lawyer for this case or will a public defender do?
What are some possibilities for his sentence for the felony?

Most of your questions need to be answered by his Attorney. Now your other issue if an Attorney can be afforded then he does not qualify for Public Defender

My boyfriend got charged with 2nd degree aggrivated assault. His bond was $13,000 and I could have gotten him out but he had 4 bench warrents. He's now in parish prison for three months contempt.
After he completes the three months, will I be able to bail him out?
Will his bail decrease?
Should I go ahead and pay it?
Should I try and get him a lawyer for this case or will a public defender do?
What are some possibilities for his sentence for the felony?

If you spend any money on him, you are very foolish. :no:

I agree with seniorjudge, however, love is blind, and causes us to do crazy things. So, assuming you're in love, and honestly want to help him, although it might sound like a waste of time and effort and money, I would highly recommend a paid lawyer over a Public Defender ANYDAY. As for the bond, hun, if you care about him at all, don't pay it. Seriously, let him sit for a little bit, get his head clear, and maybe he'll get his priorities straight so this will never happen again. You bail him out right away, then he's learned nothing except that someone will always get him out of trouble. This is a lesson that God is trying to teach him, so let him learn it...

Public defenders are generally excellent attorneys (though considerably overworked) who through sheer repetition know the ins and outs of the law (and the specific judges and their quirks) better than anyone.

However, if you can afford a private attorney, you are not eligible for a public defender.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back