22 and want to get emancipated

Status
Not open for further replies.

ccs001

I am currently a resident of Louisiana but my parents live in Alabama. I have not dealt with my parents since 2004 when I graduated from High School at age 17. I am trying to get into school and apply for financial aid, but I do not have any kids, I'm not married, and I'm not a member of the armed forces, therefore; I am considered a dependent. I have been taking care of myself and I I don't rely on my parents for anything. Anytime I even ask for their information, I either get a half answer or he pretends to forget to send the information. The only way to go about it now is to get emancipated, Is it possible at my age and what will be the process. My fiance' and I have been supporting each other for the past 3 years. What should i do because I am ready to get back into school.

If you are 22 years old, you are emancipated.

For all purposes except financial aid for college you have been legally emancipated for four years. There is no legal procedure to emancipate an emancipated adult.

Your school's burser's office should be able to provide you with the forms and information to "emancipate" you from needing to provide your parents' financial information to get financial aid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back