2020 Returns

Artbuc

Jurisdiction
Pennsylvania
Does anyone know when the IRS plans to have all 2020 returns processed? I can find articles talking about millions of unprocessed 2020 returns, but none give a scheduled completion date. Thanks.

Does anyone know when the IRS plans to have all 2020 returns processed? I can find articles talking about millions of unprocessed 2020 returns, but none give a scheduled completion date. Thanks.

If you're expecting a refund, don't count on getting it any time soon.

If you sent a check with your return look up your account on the IRS website to see if it's been posted. Also look up your checking account to see if your bank paid it.

Even if your check hasn't been posted or cleared, as long as you don't owe anything I wouldn't be too concerned. They'll get to it eventually.

If you sent a check with your return look up your account on the IRS website to see if it's been posted. Also look up your checking account to see if your bank paid it.

Even if your check hasn't been posted or cleared, as long as you don't owe anything I wouldn't be too concerned. They'll get to it eventually.

Thx again! I pay electronically and it does show on my account transcript. All is good. My only concern was my former employer hired a new company to issue W2 for imputed income on group term life insurance. I got my W2 very late but in time to include it with my return. However, I assume the IRS never their copy because it does not show in my transcript. So, I am sure the IRS will want to know why I reported this extra income. I guess I will eventually get that query if they ever get around to processing my 2021 return.

This is not true if you snail mailed your return, judging by the IRS Notice CP80 addressed to my parents that arrived last week.

The credit listed is exactly the sum of the estimated tax paid in 2020 plus the check they sent in with their 2020 return. I have located the back statement indicating that that the check they sent in with their return posted April 1, 2021.

The Notice CP80 indicates that the IRS has no record of a 2020 return being submitted.

I had initially thought that the entire mailing had been misplaced along the way - I knew my parents had sent it. [Cannot ask them for details, because one died in 2021, and the other nearly died, and has memory gaps.] Color me a cynic that the IRS has no problem opening the mail sent to the "owing tax" address, cashing the checks, and ignoring everything else in the envelopes.

Back