Drug Crimes, Substance Abuse 20/20 - Should Marijuana Be Made Legal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michael Wechsler

Administrator
Staff member
Tonight I watched 20/20 which had several interesting segments - the first interviewing Syrian President Bashar Al-Assad and the second on the medical marijuana business that is now booming in Colorado and growing in other states. There is the fact that federal law still makes it illegal for these dispensaries to operate but the federal government isn't doing anything to shut down these marijuana shops. The thought that crossed my mind was, to my surprise, "shouldn't we just legalize marijuana already and end the inherent corruption from what the "medical marijuana" business has become?"

If people need to take marijuana for medicinal purposes, it surely wasn't evident in this eye opening 20/20 segment. Candy, cookies, fun foods laced with marijuana - various types of marijuana - is this medicine or are we talking about enjoying a lifestyle like walking into a full service bakery (pardon the pun)? There are over 200 medical marijuana dispensaries in Denver. People have left their jobs all over the country to try to become "certified" growers who have plants dedicated to people who have a prescription.

Who are we kidding? If even an iota of what this 20/20 report indicated is true, medical marijuana is the sham that South Park Studios satirized and this is a scam designed for private people to get wealthy through this sham "regulation" of the plant. Heaven forbid marijuana becomes legalized and these people's investments in their government controlled monopolies goes away. But moreso, it takes away the government's cut from this regulation scam since it would be much more difficult for the states to get paid if everyone could grow marijuana! I now fully appreciate just how deeply funny and scathing the South Park satire called Medical Fried Chicken is on so many levels.

Anyone can make moonshine at home but people are banned from growing marijuana plants. Am I concerned about the general public baking themselves into a stoned stupor should marijuana become legalized? Of course I am, given that too many people who are regular smokers seem to believe that it's so beneficent that driving under the influence is fine - and that their abilities are enhanced. But I guess that like everything else, we'd need to inflict harsh penalties. Perhaps this might even be the start of harsher penalties being enacted for DUI - driving under the influence - regardless of whether that substance is alcohol or marijuana. It must be in the subconscious not to drink and drive and not to smoke and drive.

Anyways... I'm curious to know your thoughts about whether marijuana should be legalized. By no means do you have to commit to an opinion here online, just sharing thoughts on where all of this medical marijuana legislating is going.

In California a person already can be charged with DUI for marijuana or any other substance. The problem is that the jails do not hold the offenders and the penalties are only monetary. People with little to no money can't pay the fines anyway so they never feel the sting. The harsh penalties may sound good on paper but they don't really bite. They only hurt the otherwise law abiding person who gets caught randomly. The habitual offenders don't care and make regular trips through the revolving door.
The pot farms are regular targets for theft and it is not unusual for shootings and stabbings to be associated with them.
These days just about any time we have a home invasion burglary we expect it to be connected to marijuana grow sites. There is likely to be either a large amount of marijuana, cash, or both involved.
There certainly are associated crimes with growing marijuana, some of them violent.
Would legalizing marijuana increase our decrease these associated crimes?
The current system is a sham though. Certain permits are issued for medicinal purposes in California but there is no standard and way for law enforcement to legitimately verify permits. Some people operate multiple grow sites with the same permit.
I suggest working through the legislature to undo these laws and restrict access. I'm in the extreme minority for that within this state though.

I can't help but agree - the MM cards are handed out like candy. In some cases there is only the barest examination of the patient before an RX is written.

If we're going to legalize it, at least let's be honest about it.

And I'm in WA.

Just last month in Illinois (where I live), the governor signed the bill to allow medical marijuana. It was the 20th state to allow medical marijuana.

The Federal gov't is in the process of changing laws to allow banks to legally process the proceeds of these growers and dispensaries. Not only is that hypocritical, it is legal in DC. Meanwhile, I am spending $75 a month plus drug testing, to go to pain management.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back