2 weeks and already problems with tenant

Status
Not open for further replies.

renting2losers

I rented to a young couple who are self employed signing the lease on Friday the 13th, it is now the 24th. This past Friday night my husband and I were on a short vacation 2 1/2 hours away from our home. We received a call at 7 pm from our tenants stating that there was a flood in the downstairs bathroom. I asked him to call a plumber and we would pay the bill. In the lease it says that the tenant is responsible for the plumbing, but we went ahead and paid the next morning when they called. The clog was supposedly fixed, but when we returned home after 4 more phone calls from the tenant on Saturday afternoon it apparently was not. We rushed home, cut our vacation short and found that the mess was mostly cleaned up. He started to complain about all of his contents that were lost in the flooded room like his computer and printer that was on the floor. He asked if we were going to take care of his furniture, shoes and clothing that had been wet by this leak (septic back up) that he is forced to throw away. The plumber would not come back on Saturday, so my husband basically removed all of the flooring (laminate wood) in the bedroom, cleaned and disinfected the floors in all of the areas that were flooded. The tenant helped out and we felt a bit sorry for him, as this was not something that was planned on happening to either of us. We told him that contents were his responsibility and it states this in the lease. They said that they understand. My husband offered for them to take showers at or home until the plumbing situation is under control. They could still stay in the upstairs but not use the water. On Sunday after waiting around all day for the septic cleaning company they finally came at 6 pm to complete the job. The tenant had to be watching over the workers shoulders and apparently stepped in some crap and as the septic guy was leaving told me that I have to pay him for his shoes, when he is the one who stepped in the poop and I did not lead him to it. He argued in front of my home with me for 15 minutes in front of my condo (3 buildings away from my rental property) with a contractor witnessing the entire conversation. I have gone above and beyond trying to accommodate them. I am at my wits end, after getting complaints that the neighbors are hearing someone banging at 3 and 4 in the morning and they have small children trying to sleep. These tenants have not left the property for their work (Landscaping) one time in the 11 days that they have been living there. Can I get out of the lease and if so..how? The tenant is scaring me and the neighbors with his temper and screaming at his girlfriend. I want a way to give them a full refund and send them on the way, but legally, this is in Florida. I do not even want to redo the floor until they leave, what can I do?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back