2 Tickets within 1 week for having no front license plate

Status
Not open for further replies.

migm

Hi,

I'll spare you all the angry details (I've very annoyed by all of this). The facts of the case are I am a St. Louis, Missouri resident who received one violation last weekend by an officer who was, by all accounts, doing his job and ensuring that no drunk drivers were out. I wasn't, but I did receive a ticket for not having a front license plate. The officer was professional about it, and I understand now (though I was annoyed to say the least then) that he was just doing his job.

Today, as I pulled into a parking spot at my gym another officer from the same department parked behind me, flipped on his lights, and asked me questions about not having a front license plate. Unfortunately, in the weeks timespan I had not been able to fix the issue (I believed that I had until the court date to have it done, actually). He began to ask me questions on where I worked and what I did. When I questioned him as to why this information was pertinent he told me to wait at my car. Though I informed the officer that I had received a violation for the same thing just recently and asked him to please consider writing a warning, he told me that I would be getting a ticket. He did ask me to show him the previous violation, but I had carelessly left it at home. Suffice it to say I was livid that the officer refused to enforce the spirit of the law and insisted upon the letter instead.

I am a student currently studying full-time for a life changing examination which will determine whether or not I will attend medical school. As such money is tight and the 65$ fine (x2) in addition to getting holes drilled in my cars front bumper (it was bought out of state where only the rear is required) is a serious problem.

What do I do? Will the court grant me mercy if I show evidence (picture/receipt) that the issue has been fixed? What are the chances that I'll have to pay both tickets, and how do I make sure that I pay the least possible amount. Also, the court dates (two seperate dates), one is one week before my exam (I really don't want to deal with this then, I need to be focused), and the other is the day of my exam (I can't deal with this then). How do I make sure I can give the court my full attention and respect, since I know that will be required to convince the judge that the fine should be reduced.

Thank you for your all for your help. If you need details or clarification, please ask.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back