Shoplifting, Larceny, Robbery, Theft 1st Offense Misdemeanor in GA, Please Help!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

rtfHelloKitty

Recently, two of my friends and I (all 18/19 years old) went on a road trip and were caught shoplifting at a department store in the state of Georgia. The store manager stopped us in the middle of the mall (about 15-20 min. after we had left the store), and asked us to return back to the store to return his merchandise. He told us that once we returned the merchandise, we would be free to go. Since we were completely scared and embarrassed, we believed him and followed him to a back room where two LPs were waiting for us. They separated us into two cells, told us to leave our bags outside, and searched through our purses. After they recovered their merchandise (which totaled under $150), they took our IDs and recorded our information. They also confiscated a few items we had taken from another store, and told us they would return those items without identifying us.

Then we had to sign paperwork and were put into their computer database. Each of us was issued $150 in civil demand fees, which I paid on the spot. We were also interrogated during all of this (which lasted almost 2 hours) and then referred to a cop who came in, interrogated us, arrested us, and dropped us off with a sheriff who transported us to the county jail. We were then placed in a holding cell where we waited over 23 hours to be processed (fingerprinted and everything). Then we were bonded/bailed out by my friends sister. Everything was so real and scary that I had never been so terrified in my life.

After we were released, we were told our court date would arrive in the mail, but none of us has received it yet. I know that the three of us need lawyers ASAP and that we all have received at least 10+ mail ads from lawyers in that county, but none of us has the finances to afford a personal lawyer. At this point we don't know what to do.

We were each charged with a misdemeanor: theft by shoplifting. This is my first time with a criminal offense. Will we be tried separately or together? Is there any possible way to have this expunged from my records (with/without an attorney's help)? What is our likely punishment? These are some of the questions that wont stop running through my head.

I've recorded nearly everything I can remember regarding my case on a word document, so please, please give me advice on what to do and dont be afraid to ask for more information about my situation. My friends and I are all college students and we dont mind doing community service, taking classes, or even being on probation as long as we dont get jail time. We also desperately want this to be removed from our records. This experience has absolutely been a wake-up call for us, and we just want to get our lives back on track and stop doing stupid illegal things that get us into trouble.

Also, (although I do not know if this is relevant) my friends and I witnessed some LEOs performing acts which we believe should be illegal and did not know if reporting them would help anything. Namely, the officer who arrested us did not read us any rights, frisked my friend (he is male and my friend is female), and the sheriff who transported us was texting his wife while driving and swerved twice on the road. We also felt it was unfair that we were made to wait over 23 hours in the jail for us to be processed and when other offenders were booked, processed, and released all in under 6 hours.

Thank you for anyone who can give me advice!!

The Lawyer letters can be helpful if they offer free consultations. if not open yellow pages and find some. You need legal advice from a local Attorney. Many Lawyers offer free consultations get as many as you can arm yourself with knowledge. Ask these lawyers about options like diversion or ACD.

Do legal proceedings for cases like mine differ significantly from county to county? I am asking this because the county in which I got arrested (and will have to appear in court at) is nearly 4 hours away from where I live and I initially planned on getting free consultations from just lawyers in my county. Would that help or is it pointless to get consultations from lawyers that don't work in the county in which I will have to appear in court?

Also, since my financial situation is very tight, I am looking into getting a public defender instead of a private attorney and wanted to know the pros/cons of a public defender vs. private attorney. Obviously money is a concern for me, but I want to do whatever it takes to stay out of jail and have my record expunged or my case dismissed.

Thank you!!

Another question: Since I have been "convicted," arrested, and fingerprinted, does this automatically appear on my criminal record? Or does it only appear if I am found guilty in court?

Your last post is confusing. Have you already been to court and plead or be found guilty? You say you are convicted that is a court outcome

You have an "arrest" record for now. Depending on how you handle your court case you might have a criminal record after case is over.

Thank you. Now after I get free lawyer consultations, should I actually hire a lawyer or go for a public defender? I don't have a high paying job or anything and I know lawyers are expensive so I want to know if it will make a difference in my case if I hire a lawyer or just get a public defender...

When you ask for Public Defender the Judge will instruct you what to do. However you can call the court and see if the clerk can tell you the income requirments

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back