Criminal Law 18 USC 1030 and Green Card Renewal

Status
Not open for further replies.

mathilda

I entered the US as a Permanent Resident at the age of 16 in 1994. In 1998 I was charged with violating 18 USC 1030 (a)(2)(c) "intentionally accesses a computer without authorization or exceeds authorized access, and thereby obtains information from any protected computer if the conduct involved an interstate or foreign communication" My lawyer was able to get a plea bargain for 3 years probation + fine + restitution and have the charge turned into a misdemeanor instead of a felony.

I recently tried to renew my Green Card (6 months ago) and last week I received a letter from the BCIS that they are unable to process my application because they need more information about the misdemeanor conviction (i.e. final disposition/court judgement, probation reports). What are my risks of being placed in deportation proceedings and what should I expect from the BCIS after I provide them the paperwork that they requested?

I spoke to an immigration lawyer today and he told me that this shouldn't be a problem because the conviction was for a misdemeanor but that I should expect to go in front of an Immigration Judge. What do you guys think?

Thanks for your help.

The ROC could very well determine your fate. You should consult with an attorney and review the ROC and terms and provisions of your sentence. This is NOT legal advice, you must seek legal representation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back