17 year old daughter

Tle0506

(Written for husband) His16 year old daughter lived with his ex wife, was kicked out and moved in with us for a year, through foc change. She skipped school, used drugs, committed assault against her step mother (me). Mother went back to foc and took her back to her home. Mother kicked her out again, daughter refuses to come to our home (the father's). He still pays child support and carries insurance on her. She has not been in our home for 5 mobths. She is now 17 and basically lives on the street and couch hops. We have no idea where she is or who she is with. We know she uses drugs and have heard she may be pregnant. Can I(the father) STOP being financially responsible and stop carrying health insurance on her? We really need some advice and it guidance ASAP.

If shes pregnant she will need Health insurance
Hard to know if she is or not, unfortunately, not a lot of truth is spoken. I am trying to find out if we are required to be financially responsible for medical expenses. This behavior has been going on for a couple of years and no matter how much counseling we have tried it has only gotten worse.☹ we are at such a loss and don't know what to do anymore.

No, you remain responsible.

If you have not done so you should make a missing person report with law enforcement. If she turns up at any hospital or has any law enforcement contact they will bring her home... At least temporarily until she runs off again.
Once she is 18 you can likely dump the insurance without consequence. Responsibility for other support is determined by the court.

Until she is 18 both Mom AND Dad are responsible for her. Once she turns 18 you can abandon her with impunity.

(Written for husband) His16 year old daughter lived with his ex wife, was kicked out and moved in with us for a year, through foc change. She skipped school, used drugs, committed assault against her step mother (me). Mother went back to foc and took her back to her home. Mother kicked her out again, daughter refuses to come to our home (the father's). He still pays child support and carries insurance on her. She has not been in our home for 5 mobths. She is now 17 and basically lives on the street and couch hops. We have no idea where she is or who she is with. We know she uses drugs and have heard she may be pregnant. Can I(the father) STOP being financially responsible and stop carrying health insurance on her? We really need some advice and it guidance ASAP.

Your husband remains responsible for what he is ordered to pay in child support and cover her on his insurance until the court order is modified or she turns 18.

Why are you more concerned with your husband not taking care of her than finding her? I understand it's hard to go through this. But she's only 16...she can still change. Has she been reported missing by anyone if no one has seen her in five months?

Can I(the father) STOP being financially responsible and stop carrying health insurance on her?

I don't know what you mean by "STOP being financially responsible." If it means stop paying child support to the mother, the answer is that you cannot until the support order says you can stop or the court enters a new order terminating the obligation. As for whether you can stop carrying health insurance on her, that depends on the terms of the divorce decree or custody order. Does the decree/order require you to carry insurance? If so, then you cannot legally stop doing so without an order from the court or until the decree/order says you can stop.

I am trying to find out if we are required to be financially responsible for medical expenses.

What medical expenses? Is this a hypothetical question?

Back