17 year old arrested in Georgia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tabney

If a 17 year old is arrested in Georgia should the parents/guardians be notified? According to Georgia Laws my 17 year can move out without parents consent but if she needs medical attention a parent/guardian must give consent. She was arrested at age 17. Her parents were not notified. Her charges were criminal trespassing/theft by taking. She was with 3 other people at the time and all were charged for the same offense. Her picture and name was also published in a small town paper. I am looking for legal advice in this matter.

Last edited:
What are you hoping to accomplish? Assuming that parents must be notified and they were not, that procedural issue is not likely to compel the defendant's release or the dropping of charges. Likewise with the publishing of names and photographs.

If this is your child, hire her an attorney ASAP so that she can be represented for the charges at hand. That attorney can also advise as to whether any procedural issues went awry and whether or not any action can be brought as a result.

My quick read of GA law would seem to indicate that the juvenile courts' authority extends to juveniles UNDER the age of 17 so it would appear that at the age of 17 she is no longer automatically held to account as a juvenile.

From a GA courts website"

"The exclusive, original jurisdiction of juvenile courts extends to delinquent children under the age of 17 ..."

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back