Shoplifting, Larceny, Robbery, Theft $17 theft in SC

Status
Not open for further replies.

507sc

Background: Was stopped by LP as I was leaving a big box store here in SC. Took me to the LP room, asked me to remove the merchandise from my bag, took my name and information, valued up the items take ($17 and change) and said they weren't going to do anything and I was free to go. They gave me a letter naming a law firm who handles their cases and it seems to be a very form letter, stating that depending on the state civil/criminal action may be taken. I asked what this meant and if something further would come of it, the LP lady said probably not. From research I've been doing online, this store seems to have a policy of not prosecuting under $25 dollars or first time offenders. I didn't sign anything while in their office. They said I would be on a list privy only to the store (so I'm assuming this isn't reported to the national retail theft database).

Questions:

1: Since it was a small amount and under the amount the store chooses to prosecute, can I still receive a civil demand letter?

2: If I do receive a civil demand letter (which I have no problem paying, I screwed up, I know), will that be something that, if future employers go to run background checks, that would show up? Or, even if there is no civil demand made, is this something that would show up? My knowledge of background checks says that no, it would not, since no criminal charges were filed and that's what shows up on a background check, but I'd like some advice on the matter.

My main concern (which yes, should have been my concern BEFORE all this, I know) is future employment being hindered because of a $17 mistake.

Any advice is appreciated and helpful.

1: Since it was a small amount and under the amount the store chooses to prosecute, can I still receive a civil demand letter?

The Civil Demand letter is pretty much a guarantee

2: If I do receive a civil demand letter (which I have no problem paying, I screwed up, I know), will that be something that, if future employers go to run background checks, that would show up? Or, even if there is no civil demand made, is this something that would show up? My knowledge of background checks says that no, it would not, since no criminal charges were filed and that's what shows up on a background check, but I'd like some advice on the matter.

Glad you brought this up because you made an incorrect assumption in your post. First lets address the criminal background check. Long as there was no Police involvement or court case no criminal background check will pick this up. Now heres is where you made your incorrect assumption. The purpose of subscribing to Retail theft database(s) is so subscribers can input and view the names on list. If all you put in there were subjects you prosecuted then it would be pointless as CRB would get that info so why pay for database? No retailers input all shoplifters names into database this includes thos who they choose to not file criminal complaint on

My main concern (which yes, should have been my concern BEFORE all this, I know) is future employment being hindered because of a $17 mistake.

I suggest that if this store is a subscriber you not apply to any retail stores for jobs unless you are 100% certain they are not subscriber

Pay your civil demand fine. Due to the low dollar amount, the LP most likely did not prosecute you and I am sure the states attorney would not pursue charges on a low dollar theft.

Obey the trespass, pay your fine and stop stealing. You should be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back