17. Michigan. Shoplifted from (clothing store).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Walley

I was caught shoplifting at (clothing store) by the sensor. They brought me to the office and called my parents to pick me up. I came home with a civil demand saying that their lawyers will contact us. No police were called. Will I got to court? Or jail? Will this be on my criminal record?

Last edited by a moderator:
How old are you - are you a minor? The letter you get will require a civil demand be paid. If the civil demand is paid, they may not pursue any further. If they do & you do have to go to court, you will want to get a lawyer or have your parents get one for you. I can't see you going to jail.

PS Title now shows 17 - OP is a minor.

Last edited:
I was caught shoplifting at (clothing store) by the sensor. They brought me to the office and called my parents to pick me up. I came home with a civil demand saying that their lawyers will contact us. No police were called. Will I got to court? Or jail? Will this be on my criminal record?

No jail for you, you're a minor, a Juvie.

That said, get moms and pops to pay the civil demand.

In the meantime, STOP STEALING, you suck at being a thief.

You're so awful, you left the SENSOR TAG on the Chinese made JUNK.

If moms a d pops pop for the civil demand, you STOP STEALING and STOP TALKING, this will all disappear.

So, let it go, wait, and STOP STEALING, you suck at being a THIEF!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
In some states the retailer is not permitted to seek both Civil Demand and criminal charges. Whether or not your state is one I would have to research. In general if the retailer does not file a criminal complaint at time of event they are very unlikely to do so later. the exception is if the accused (in this case you) violate some agreement like not paying Civil Demand, violating ban. reoffending etc. Pay the civil demand and this should be over. You got off lucky don't blow it

Thank you guys so much. I just have a few more questions.
1. How long until the lawyers contact me?
2. Will it just be mail or over phone call?
3. I attempted to steal 48 dollars worth.. How much will they charge?

P.S. The sensors were in the tag.. I had no idea. Which is still no excuse.

The lawyer should send a letter through the mail requesting the civil demand. We can't say when the lawyer will send it out. We don't know. It could be up to $500 - again we don't know.

1. How long until the lawyers contact me?
Could be days weeks even months depend son how busy they are
2. Will it just be mail or over phone call?
It will come in mail so be certain you gave store correct address
3. I attempted to steal 48 dollars worth.. How much will they charge?
It can be anywhere from $50.00 to $1000.00 depending on state law and circumstances of event. If I had to guess and yes its a guess I would say around $500.00

So when they send me my civil demand.. Which for sure I am getting? They will enclose a statement of how much money I owe? I also have heard that since I am a minor that I will have to only pay 250$ tops? I was wondering if that is true? I am also wondering if I will go to court? Do you think that is a big possibility?

YOu heard wrong the max can be as much as $1000.00. Far as court goes if Police weren't involved its unlikely you will have to go to court

You cant have a criminal record without a conviction and that happens in court. However your name could be in a retail theft database that other subscribers could view

Though some databases such as the National Retail Theft database does not take reports on anyone under 18.

It's has been almost 2 months now. I have not received my civil demand. When do you think it's coming? Will I get one?

I mean 3 months not 2 months.***

Relax, Master Walley.

You're a minor.

As a minor, you can't sue, nor can you be sued.

You're what the law calls, a LEGAL INCOMPETENT.

I waited to see who might have caught it, but a civil demand issued to a minor is useless, unless the minor isn't too bright (and his mom and dad aren't, either).

You, on the other hand, aren't stupid. Your parents aren't either.

Just don't do this illegal, stupid, stuff ever again.

One, you're not very good at criminality.

Two, you won't have to worry if you stay lean.

Three, see what happens when you fail at criminality?

The police could have taken you into custody, and the law could have dealt with you in Juvie court.

That never happened.

Your parents aren't financially responsible for their child's alleged thievery.

So, relax, stop worrying, stay off their radar, away from their stores, stay CRIME FREE, and for goodness sakes, don't go blowing up their telephone line with, WHERE'S MY DARNED LETTER THOUGHT YOU WERE GONNA SEND ME A LETTER!

Don't tug on Superman's cape, pull the mask off The Lone Ranger, spit into the wind, and don't mess around with THEM!!!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back