17 hour shift with 4 other people who could have worked instead

FinalVow

Jurisdiction
Vermont
Situation is as follows. Co-worker broke his wrist so my boss asked if I could help with a Saturday shift. I said yes and when I arrive at 8 am Saturday he tells me that I have to stay until 1 am. According to the OSHA 13 hours is the max I can legally be worked unless exempt which my job is not or extended or unusual hours I believe the term was. According to that scarcity of resources could cause an employee to have to work more than 13 hours making it legal. There were 4 other people on shift as well. Second boss who came in at 2 pm on and left at 9 pm. Co-worker A who worked from 6am to 11am and from 4pm to 9pm. Co-worker B who worked from 3pm to 9:30pm and Co-worker C who worked from 3pm to 10:30pm so 3 of them could have worked until 1 am and still not hit 13 hours. I had 13 hours by 8:45pm my question is as follows does the above situation violate my legal rights based on the terminology of the OSHA act. Sorry about the length

Last edited:
Oh, boo hoo. You worked extra hours and now you want to make a federal case out of it. Good luck keeping that job if you start kvetching about it.

On the other hand, you may have scored points by putting in the extra hours.

There is no general OSHA law limiting shifts to 13 hours. There are some industry-specific limits, however. So, what do you do?

Back