16-pregnant-marriage??

Status
Not open for further replies.

babybri0826

Hi,

Im 16 and pregnant. My mother is basically telling me that i either let her adopt my baby or she is sending me to reform school. Now when it comes to the father (who is 18) she has told him he can come up here and support the baby (which he wants to do) but said we cant be together till im 18. Now she is telling me that i am now an adult and all that good great stuff but she still wont let me be with him. And she said she wont allow me to marry him. He wants me to move to VA, where we will have a house jobs and money to finacially support us and a baby, but we want to get married. Can i marry him with out her consent?

No!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi,

Im 16 and pregnant. My mother is basically telling me that i either let her adopt my baby or she is sending me to reform school. Now when it comes to the father (who is 18) she has told him he can come up here and support the baby (which he wants to do) but said we cant be together till im 18. Now she is telling me that i am now an adult and all that good great stuff but she still wont let me be with him. And she said she wont allow me to marry him. He wants me to move to VA, where we will have a house jobs and money to finacially support us and a baby, but we want to get married. Can i marry him with out her consent?

And she cannot force you to have the child adopted!

not saying I'm giving this as advice....hypothetically if she moved to VA to live with him is there anything that mom would be able to do about it?

And Proserpina is right there is NO WAY she can force you to let her adopt your baby! Young or not thats your baby and nobody can take that away from you! Not without good reason of course. Also make sure you get prenatal care. With you only being 16 it increase your risks with your pregnancy. Make sure you take care of yourself! Also not sure how you feel about the pregnancy but congrats!!! Whats done is done, enjoy your baby!!

If she moved to Virginia or anywhere else, she wouldn't be moving.
She'd be a runaway.
Her mother could report her, and then possibly get custody of her baby.
Children have no rights.
Any rights that a child could assert, are rights that a parent or guardian has to assert.

If she were to be found in Virginia, the adult male that impreganted her, could face federal charges.

This adult male that impregnated her, would definitely face state felony charges.

The adults that masquerade as parents for our hypothetical adult impregantor, could also face potential criminal charges.

Hypothetically speaking, of course.

Last edited:
The only way you could get married to him is if you were able to get emancipated or if she would sign giving you permission. Since that doesn't sound likely to happen you could look up the law in your state about emancipation. You would have to have a very good case to justify emancipation though. Also what are you planning to do about school?

barbie please do not give absurd info. Emancipation has nothing to do with abuse, pregnancy or, the like. Emancipation is about self support!

LOL just saying that the only way she would be able to marry him is to have mom sign or if she was emancipated....Never said it was possible or that that would be the answer to her problems. Pretty sure I gave factual info. if not I could see an issue.

If her Dad has joint legal custody he too could sign for her to marry even if the mother disagrees. Only one of the two parents must sign.

§ 51-2. Capacity to marry.

(a) All unmarried persons of 18 years, or older, may
lawfully marry, except as hereinafter forbidden.

(a1) Persons over 16 years of age and under 18 years of age
may marry, and the register of deeds may issue a license for
the marriage, only after there shall have been filed with
the register of deeds a written consent to the marriage,
said consent having been signed by the appropriate person as
follows:

(1) By a parent having full or joint legal custody of the
underage party; or

(2) By a person, agency, or institution having legal custody
or serving as a guardian of the underage party.

Such written consent shall not be required for an
emancipated minor if a certificate of emancipation issued
pursuant to Article 35 of Chapter 7B of the General Statutes
or a certified copy of a final decree or certificate of
emancipation from this or any other jurisdiction is filed
with the register of deeds.

(b) Persons over 14 years of age and under 16 years of age
may marry as provided in G.S. 51-2.1.

(b1) It shall be unlawful for any person under 14 years of
age to marry.

(c) When a license to marry is procured by any person
under 18 years of age by fraud or misrepresentation, a
parent of the underage party, a person, agency, or
institution having legal custody or serving as a guardian of
the underage party, or a guardian ad litem appointed to
represent the underage party pursuant to G.S. 51-2.1(b) is a
proper party to bring an action to annul the marriage.
(R.C., c. 68, s. 14; 1871-2, c. 193; Code, s. 1809; Rev.,
s. 2082; C.S., s. 2494; 1923, c. 75; 1933, c. 269, s. 1;
1939, c. 375; 1947, c. 383, s. 2; 1961, c. 186; 1967,
c. 957, s. 1; 1969, c. 982; 1985, c. 608; 1998-202, s. 13(s);
2001-62, s. 2; 2001-487, s. 60.)

Thanks jharris352 very good info. Great point that if dad has joint custody he would be able to sign.

Just to clarify what I said earlier. I never implied that she would be able to get emacipated because she was pregnant. Just that if she was able to get emancipated(for other reasons other than pregnancy) she would be able to get married without anyone signing.

Thanks jharris352 very good info. Great point that if dad has joint custody he would be able to sign.

Just to clarify what I said earlier. I never implied that she would be able to get emacipated because she was pregnant. Just that if she was able to get emancipated(for other reasons other than pregnancy) she would be able to get married without anyone signing.

There is a form of "emancipation" where a child can petition a court to get married. I would have to do some research, but under extenuating circumstances (Like being pregnant), a child can make the case that she should be able to marry even though her parents disapprove. I would imagine she would file a suit against her parent in a court of equity. She would have to show that it was in her and her child's best interest to marry. I can't remember where I heard about this or read it but I'm 95% sure it is possible.

I think it is sometimes the best option for a pregnant teen if she actually has someone worth marrying.

you stay untill youre 18

Hi,

untill you are 18, mom doesnt have to allow you to be with anyone she doesnt want you to-she calls the shots. and going to va with your bf is a very bad idea, he can face serious criminal charges for taking you over state lines wihout mom's permission, including federal charges, which will land him a long prison sentence in federal prison.

Yeah to obtain emancipation you will have to show how you can support yourself, and the support of the babies father would not be taking into consideration. JHarris may be right though. Couldn't hurt to speak to an attorney who specializes in family law.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back