Shoplifting, Larceny, Robbery, Theft 16-8-4 Theft by Conversion Georgia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lord1time

I was arrested on 05/26/2007 in Dekalb county for theft by conversion. I bonded out (signed my own bond) and have still not heard anything else about it. No one has contacted me to even ask me a question. Well a couple of weeks ago I looked the information up online and it now says, accusation filed 05/26/2009. Today I called to see what is going on with this because this pending charge is stopping me from getting employment. I was told that they dont know why is not on the books yet and transferred me to the judges secretary who is out until after columbus day. I called them back and they told me that the DA probably will not talk to me until I have an attorney. What do I need to do to get this situation resolved? I don't want to go to court, I don't even want this on my criminal history, what can I do to get end this maddness.

Well, depending on whether or not you did steal by conversion, this madness was caused by you. Dekalb County is very very slow. You need an attorney, have one appointed if you need to. If it is your first offense you can get a first offender program where you will not have a record after your probation. Get an attorney and he/she will be able to push the issue a bit faster.

You should have called to check on the status a whole lot sooner. Things like this don't magically go away... not unless you are a high level politician anyway.

I did check on it, every month for a year, and that's when I stop........isn't there some sort of statue of limitations or something......

guilty I am not, but that doesn't excuse that fact that I am ready for this to be over....the public defenders office will not appoint me an attorney until after I have had a court date set

The limit on misdemeanors is 2 years. Felonies is 4 years. Which were you charged with?

Did you provide a statement at the time you were arrested? You said you have not been contacted afterward. If you have never provided a statement I doubt you will have much to worry about.

Get on the DA about it, or get an attorney to do it for you... it sounds like a situation that might just go away.

Oh hey, nice catch.... I looked at the year but not the month and day.

Sounds like it has nowhere to go though. If they let it go to the limit then they really don't have anything.

If you spent 10 minutes in Dekalb County Government you would TOTALLY understand. Do you remember the incident where the incoming Sheriff was SHOT AND KILLED by the outgoing sheriffs men? Dekalb County.

What exactly is an "accusation filed"? Is it the same as an indictment? I read on some sight that if an accusation is filed by the defense it's like a request for a speedy trial and they have 180 days to take it to trial or dismiss it, is that correct? If so, does the same thing apply if the accusation is filed by the prosecutor?

I provided a statement prior to being arrested. I was arrested about 2 months after the statement. The police officer that arrested me stated that I should say out of sight from the accuser because that is what pushed the arrest. And since the arrest, I have not heard anything. I don't know if it's a felony or not, I don't even know how much I am being accused of taking.

An accusation is in State Court and is a misdemeanor. You are probably being accused of converting $500 or less. There is a way to compel a speedy trial. It would require that you file that you are ready for trial with the Court. They have to dispose of the case within one term 180 days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back