158$ Rent Increase!

D

dford

Jurisdiction
Colorado
This is complicated but here goes . . I am a 62 year old woman who lives on disability and have subsidized housing. My lease expired end of August - the office extended my lease for two months because they had not requested the rent increase they wanted from my housing agency.

In December, I had a $80.00 credit I had to use, so did not notice the difference until this month, when after not being notified by my housing agency or the office, to find out what my portion of the new rent would be. I had signed a new lease for an increase of 60 dollars on 11/6/2015 and wanted to know if my housing agency had let them know what my portion was, since I had not heard from him/her.

When I went in to ask them, they handed me a bunch of papers I had never seen before, my housing agency approving an increase from $630 a month to $788 a month and my portion increased 90 dollars a month which I cannot afford. I have signed no lease agreeing to pay $788 a month and was not given the option to reject the offer like you are supposed to have when your lease expires. So, I was told the increase began on 11/1/15, although the ledger does not show the increase until January, which is the lease I signed for $690 a month.

Can they legally do this to me? I will have no where to go and will become homeless because my income is only $766 a month, plus the complex also charges 95 a month for utilities they provide and the tenant also pays the electric bill. That puts me up to about $350 a month for rent and lights and utilities our of that meager income. I have other bills and companion animals and this will place a tremendous hardship on me.

I suffer from mental illness and this type of chaos in my life is so dangerous for my condition.

I need to know if I am in the right because I have the signed lease which she told me was 'her' fault or can they impose that rent increase now since I already have a signed lease for $690.

Whatever help you can give me will help me sleep tonight.
Thank you so very much,

Deborah Ford

Have you spoken to them about the increase? We don't have all the details but they would probably explain everything to you - especially about a rent increase of well over 20% - which I'm very sorry to hear about.

Back