15 y/o daughter is pregnant

April8512

Jurisdiction
North Carolina
I recently found out my 15 year old was pregnant. She now thinks she is an adult and whatever she says we (her mother, father, stepmother, and stepfather) are suppose to do. She is very immature for her age and very emotionally unstable. She is mean to her younger siblings ages 3 to 13, with one being down syndrome. We fear to even have her out of sight with them. She has been caught getting ready to hit her 3 year old brother. Shes constantly saying shes going to knock her 13 year old sisters head off. Each day it gets worse and worse. Shes even starting to buck up against us, her parents. We are all in an agreement that we fear for the safety of this baby. It's all rainbows and butterflies right now and maybe the first few weeks after its born. But when the baby starts "wearing its newness off" we dont know what she would do. So my question is can her stepmother and I get full custody of the baby when it is born? Since we will be the main 2 taken care of the baby. Her father and I already agreed something has to be done so when shes at either my house or his we can prevent her from taking the baby and placing it in danger. I've talked to a local lawyer here but he told us to come back after the baby was born, so he basically took our money and ran.

The child needs BOTH medical and psychiatric/psychological care.

You must get her a mental health evaluation.

Pregnancy and adolescence are likely causing her hormones to increase causing some of this odd behavior.

Her parents must get her enrolled in classes for expectant minor mothers.

Her parents and siblings will likely need counseling, too.

Because their are other vulnerable minors in the home, you will need to discourage them from following in Sissy's footsteps.

These websites might have useful information, as well as support groups for her parental units:

When a parent is a minor

https://www.sog.unc.edu/sites/www.s...ent for Minor Children (updated May 2016).pdf

Medicine, Minors, and Parents

FAQs for Teen Parents | SHIFT NC

Teen Parent's Rights In North Carolina

Adolescent Pregnancy Project

can her stepmother and I get full custody of the baby when it is born?

Nothing in your post suggests that is a possibility. However, as a practical matter, if you have custody of your daughter, then you'll have de facto custody of her baby.

Is your daughter unwilling to consider terminating the pregnancy?

How old is the suspected father, and have you considered reporting the matter to the police for the investigation of a possible statutory rape?

I recently found out my 15 year old was pregnant. She now thinks she is an adult and whatever she says we (her mother, father, stepmother, and stepfather) are suppose to do. She is very immature for her age and very emotionally unstable. She is mean to her younger siblings ages 3 to 13, with one being down syndrome. We fear to even have her out of sight with them. She has been caught getting ready to hit her 3 year old brother. Shes constantly saying shes going to knock her 13 year old sisters head off. Each day it gets worse and worse. Shes even starting to buck up against us, her parents. We are all in an agreement that we fear for the safety of this baby. It's all rainbows and butterflies right now and maybe the first few weeks after its born. But when the baby starts "wearing its newness off" we dont know what she would do. So my question is can her stepmother and I get full custody of the baby when it is born? Since we will be the main 2 taken care of the baby. Her father and I already agreed something has to be done so when shes at either my house or his we can prevent her from taking the baby and placing it in danger. I've talked to a local lawyer here but he told us to come back after the baby was born, so he basically took our money and ran.

Was or is still pregnant?

You really can't do much about her fetus nor once it's born unless she chooses to give you custody - but where is the sperm donor who impregnated her? He gets a say too in the eventual child's life if he establishes his parental rights.

Why did you pay a lawyer for a consultation? Plenty will do a free half hour consultation. That was your mistake.

You ultimately can't do anything until there's a child. You never know she could miscarry...

However, she does have to listen to whomever are her custodial parents and who have custody of her. If you are letting her bully you and the other kids around, that's on YOU. If she has so many issues see about getting her committed to a treatment facility.

Back