14 yr old debt shows up 4-05 as "NEW ACCT., Past Due"

Status
Not open for further replies.

pygmon

A long story....I filed chapter 13 in 1991. My EX was a cheater, a drunk and COKE addict. She SNORTED my earnings. Today, there are NO public records nor any mention of bankruptcy in ANY of my credit reports. There are NO liens, judgements etc. It has been that way since 1999. NOTHING in my credit reports. I have established excellent credit again. Bought two homes, cars and have the usual Mastercard and gas card. NEVER miss a payment and have NO trouble getting credit when applied for.

Out of the blue, today, I got an alert from Equifax that FCNB (First Consumers Nat. Bank...now defunct) that I owe $3400 from the 1991 bankruptcy. It is listed as a "new" account with a "past due" of $3400. It also states that "This account was included in Chapter 7 bankruptcy." I DID NOT file Ch. 7 bankruptcy. That is an error on their part.

This account has NEVER shown up or been reported on any of the three CRA's reports....until now.

I think one possibility is that my EX may have filed for Ch. 7 in 1999 and somehow included this account. I have had ZERO contact with her since 1991. She could be in prison or dead for all I know. This account has been "renewed", even though I have never seen this account in any of my credit reports.....and trust me, I have checked my credit through the BIG 3 CRA's religiously since 1998. It says "date of last activity" was in 9/1999 with "last payment made" in 1992. But again, I have never seen this account in my credit reports. It was NOT reported. I specifically looked at 1999 last night and it isn't there.

Like I said, there is NO public record of my Ch. 13. It is not, nor has it EVER been listed in my credit reports. I'm not sure why.

I read where FCNB went bankrupt and a collection agency took over their "delinquent" accounts. My bankruptcy is FOURTEEN YEARS old. I thought TEN years was the max for reporting "negative" info associated with bankruptcy??? What are my options? I'm baffled how this can come up 14 years later and be reported? What the heck do I do?

Should I "dispute" this as "I have never filed Ch. 7 bankruptcy" and pursue the "incorrect info" or "error" route? What about a 14 year old debt? Thanks.

I had a simular situation happen with several accounts. My girlfriend filed CH 7, not me and some how it showed up on MY credit. Clearing up the matter required patience and a few stamps.
I wrote a letter to the 3 major credit agencies, listing the accounts and stated that I never filed bankruptcy and that these accounts were not mine. During the course of the investigation on the credit agencies part, 3 of the files were deleted, the 4th just stated it had been verified and updated. So, I contacted the company that was reporting it directly and they sent a letter requesting it be removed from all the agencies files.

pygmon said:
A long story....I filed chapter 13 in 1991. My EX was a cheater, a drunk and COKE addict. She SNORTED my earnings. Today, there are NO public records nor any mention of bankruptcy in ANY of my credit reports. There are NO liens, judgements etc. It has been that way since 1999. NOTHING in my credit reports. I have established excellent credit again. Bought two homes, cars and have the usual Mastercard and gas card. NEVER miss a payment and have NO trouble getting credit when applied for.

Out of the blue, today, I got an alert from Equifax that FCNB (First Consumers Nat. Bank...now defunct) that I owe $3400 from the 1991 bankruptcy. It is listed as a "new" account with a "past due" of $3400. It also states that "This account was included in Chapter 7 bankruptcy." I DID NOT file Ch. 7 bankruptcy. That is an error on their part.

This account has NEVER shown up or been reported on any of the three CRA's reports....until now.

I think one possibility is that my EX may have filed for Ch. 7 in 1999 and somehow included this account. I have had ZERO contact with her since 1991. She could be in prison or dead for all I know. This account has been "renewed", even though I have never seen this account in any of my credit reports.....and trust me, I have checked my credit through the BIG 3 CRA's religiously since 1998. It says "date of last activity" was in 9/1999 with "last payment made" in 1992. But again, I have never seen this account in my credit reports. It was NOT reported. I specifically looked at 1999 last night and it isn't there.

Like I said, there is NO public record of my Ch. 13. It is not, nor has it EVER been listed in my credit reports. I'm not sure why.

I read where FCNB went bankrupt and a collection agency took over their "delinquent" accounts. My bankruptcy is FOURTEEN YEARS old. I thought TEN years was the max for reporting "negative" info associated with bankruptcy??? What are my options? I'm baffled how this can come up 14 years later and be reported? What the heck do I do?

Should I "dispute" this as "I have never filed Ch. 7 bankruptcy" and pursue the "incorrect info" or "error" route? What about a 14 year old debt? Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back