14 year old brother got a girl pregnant but her parents will force ado

unable

My little brother and his girlfriend are 14 and just found out they are going to be parents the girls mom is trying to hide it from my brother and everyone so that when the baby is born it will automatically ally go for adoption. My brother and his girlfriend do not want to give up the baby. They want to raise the baby. What are the rights of the mother and the father to be given that they are only 14?

My little brother and his girlfriend are 14 and just found out they are going to be parents the girls mom is trying to hide it from my brother and everyone so that when the baby is born it will automatically ally go for adoption. My brother and his girlfriend do not want to give up the baby. They want to raise the baby. What are the rights of the mother and the father to be given that they are only 14?

http://www.utcourts.gov/mediation/cpm/paternity.html

http://www.divorcenet.com/resources/paternity-utah.html

http://www.ehow.com/list_7251957_paternity-laws-utah.html

I know you want to help your brother.
I know you think you are helping your brother.
That baby, assuming the girl is pregnant may not be your brother's.
Have you ever watched The Maury Povich Show?
The BEST thing you can do is inform your parents.
There's nothing your brother can do without your parent's approval, insofar as this baby is concerned.
Your brother is even unable to declare or acknowledge paternity, unless one of your parents is involved. (Read on for more information.)

In Utah, parents are legally obligated to provide the basic needs for their children until they are eighteen, legally emancipated, or enter into active military service of the United States.

Now, we come to the sticky, troubling question of what rights do minor parents have regarding a baby birthed by a female minor.
The minor male father has no rights until he established paternity.
The parental rights (such as they are) are ALL vested in the minor, birth mother.

Insofar as your minor brother is concerned, he'll have to await the birth of the baby before he can establish paternity.

Paternity means fatherhood. When a married woman gives birth, her husband is presumed to be the father of the child. When a child is born outside of marriage, the father of the child does not automatically have the same rights and responsibilities as the father of a child born in marriage. The law allows the mother, child, father or State of Utah to legally establish that a man is the father of a child. When this occurs, the child's paternity has been established.

How can unmarried parents establish paternity?

There are two ways:

• The mother, father, child or the State may file a legal action to declare that a man is the father of a child who was born outside of a marriage. This can be done judicially (in court) or administratively (by the State of Utah) and normally involves genetic testing.

• Parents can sign a Voluntary Declaration of Paternity form and file this declaration with the Department of Health, Vital Records and Statistics. When a Voluntary Declaration of Paternity form is signed by the child's mother AND father, and the form is witnessed by two individuals that are not related to you and filed with Vital Records and Statistics, paternity is established. If the father is under 18, his parent or guardian must also sign the form.

Do persons under age 18 have to worry about paternity and child support?

Yes. Minors can still be named the father of a child and may be ordered to pay child support. The law bases child support amounts on the parents' incomes but even without income, a teen could be ordered to pay a monthly child support amount. Child Support Guideline worksheets are available at all Office of Recovery Services offices and all Utah Court Clerk offices.

You, your brother, or your parents should call "ORS" about child support and paternity establishment:
(801) 536-8500.

For custody and visitation or other legal assistance:
LegalMatch (866) 678-5342

http://utahbar.legalmatch.com/

Legal Aid: (801) 328-8849
Legal Services (Salt Lake County): (801) 328-8891
Utah Bar Association: (801) 531-9077

Last edited:
Honestly? These children can't raise themselves, let alone a baby. I think they really need to consider adoption as a valid and sensible option.

Two 14 year olds.................. (don't see it)

They must reach that conclusion. There are several adoption agencies that could place the child with a vetted family who can easily afford a child and would be thrilled to adopt.

Back