13 yr old wants her biological father's last name. She currently has my ex-husbands

Status
Not open for further replies.

regina0827

My jurisdiction is: Pennsylvania

When my daughter was born she had my last name and "father unknown" on her birth certificate. When she turned two I got married (not to her biological father) and he signed her birth certificate and sent in back in to vital records. There was never any kind of legal adoption done or anything beyond the birth certificate "correction". Her social security card still has my maiden last name listed, so the two do not match. I have since divorced the man listed on her certificate and due to a PFA order he can't have any contact with her or me which means I can't get him involved or discuss it with him. (He's not seen her for years)

My daughter has since been very involved with her biological father and would like to take his last name if possible. If not she'd like for her last name to be my maiden name to match her Social Security card. I contacted vital records and they said that it would take a court order to change her name in any way because it's already been changed once.

Ideally, I'd like to know what steps I'd need to take to get her name corrected using her biological fathers name?? (Paternity already established and he also shares her feelings) Also, what approximate rough estimate of total fees I'm looking at?........And assuming that at this time we can't change it to her biological fathers name what would it take to, at the very least give her my maiden name?

Thankyou so much for taking time to read my questions!!!

You need to file a name change to have her last name changed to her father's last name.

Ask the lawyer you intend to hire (before you hire him) what the fees, etc. are.

Would I need anything besides Paternity proof? And would the man listed on birth certificate as father have any legal rights?

Would I need anything besides Paternity proof? And would the man listed on birth certificate as father have any legal rights?

I suspect that the judge would want to see all three adults in court.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back