100% Custody - Reason For Modification

Status
Not open for further replies.
Singular use of "they" is accepted use.

Only by the ignorant, the lazy, and those who don't care about ambiguity.

Or perhaps their ex-spouse prefers the use of gender-neutral pronouns.

I might prefer to be called "Your Lordship," but that doesn't mean anyone will or should do so.

Or, perhaps, their former spouse is gender-fluid and OP is unsure of which pronoun to use.

Hence the question I asked. On top of that, in parts of the OP's post, he/she used plural pronouns to refer to a single individual and to refer to multiple individuals. That's one of the many reasons why using plural pronouns to refer to individuals is improper.

No one is going to able to tell you what you want. Why? We only have your side, we have no details, we dont know far too much and last each case is different. We can guess or go by some personal experience or story we heard but to apply it to you would be unfair. Your lawyer is best to ask no random website manned by volunteers who may or may not have law degrees (see disclaimer bottom of page). If "The EX" seeks this change it will take time and its doubtful he/she can even get a court date during current crisis. So relax wait for Lawyer to get back to you and follow court order already in place.

Only by the ignorant, the lazy, and those who don't care about ambiguity.

I might prefer to be called "Your Lordship," but that doesn't mean anyone will or should do so.

Hence the question I asked. On top of that, in parts of the OP's post, he/she used plural pronouns to refer to a single individual and to refer to multiple individuals. That's one of the many reasons why using plural pronouns to refer to individuals is improper.
I'm going to guess you don't know many gender-fluid/non-binary people. However, for your edification, from Merriam-Webster:

Can they, their, them, and themselves be used as singular pronouns?: Usage Guide
They, their, them, themselves: English lacks a common-gender third person singular pronoun that can be used to refer to indefinite pronouns (such as everyone, anyone, someone). Writers and speakers have supplied this lack by using the plural pronouns. and every one to rest themselves betake — William Shakespeare I would have everybody marry if they can do it properly — Jane Austen it is too hideous for anyone in their senses to buy — W. H. Auden The plural pronouns have also been put to use as pronouns of indefinite number to refer to singular nouns that stand for many persons. 'tis meet that some more audience than a mother, since nature makes them partial, should o'erhear the speech — William Shakespeare a person can't help their birth — W. M. Thackeray no man goes to battle to be killed. — But they do get killed — G. B. Shaw The use of they, their, them, and themselves as pronouns of indefinite gender and indefinite number is well established in speech and writing, even in literary and formal contexts. In recent years, these pronouns have also been adopted by individuals whose gender identity is nonbinary, as illustrated in sense 3d above.

The extra info was useful. The snark wasn't.

I wasn't trying to make it hard to help, or confuse, I was trying to keep it gender unspecific for reasons of if the ex stumbled on this, that it might not stand out as much. I apologize if didn't follow the right forum protocol. That doesn't mean mean mine question isn't valid.

Ex lives with my childs grandparents, the grandparents are court ordered to supervise the visit. I work, my child stays at home, with a family member during this pandemic. I just wanted to know if the ex being at home full time, and me having to work even though I am making sure my daughter is safe, could constitute a change. Especially with me having 100% legal and physical custody for safety reasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back