help

Status
Not open for further replies.

dsvideo

My husband applied for the coolidge fire dept. But 14 year ago, he was charged with a felony.Still in high school, sex with a minor, her family found out and they pressed charges.
He told the chief and city manager about the felony, they told him that it was ok with him if ok with the chief, and it was. so he put it on the application yes, to a felony. So he was put on the dept and was on there for 2 1/2 yrs., went through firemans I,II and college for emt, also applied for national registry for emt, and they need all the imformation on the felony, which he did and they approved of him to take the test. also 2006 voted by his peers fireman of the year. then a full time position came available to him and he was asked if he wanted it and of course he said yes. quited his job with the state of arizona (adot) of 12 years to become full time fireman. On full time for 2 months, then the city hired a new HR person, and she starts first with the fire dept. doing background checks and of course the felony came up and call him to the office and told him the he can resign or be terminated. and that was the end of that . I need to know if we can do anything, all he wants to do is get his job back, He regret what has happen in the past, but the laws need to change for the kids that are in high school that dont know the law.

thanks dsvideo

Laws need to change for kids who don't know the law? I don't think so. How about kids learning what the law says and abiding by it? Wouldn't that be a better solution than giving kids a free pass to break the law as long as they claim ignorance?

There is nothing illegal about a public entity firing him for having a felony background. I can't think of any way to force them to give him his job back.

Laws need to change for kids who don't know the law? I don't think so. How about kids learning what the law says and abiding by it? Wouldn't that be a better solution than giving kids a free pass to break the law as long as they claim ignorance?

There is nothing illegal about a public entity firing him for having a felony background. I can't think of any way to force them to give him his job back.

The only thing i can say to you is they should have never hired him in the first place for the 2 1/2 years, when he put the felony charge on the application, knowing he had this before they hired him.

The only thing i can say to you is they should have never hired him in the first place for the 2 1/2 years, when he put the felony charge on the application, knowing he had this before they hired him.

Now you're mad because they GAVE him a job?:confused:

not mad that they gave him the job , mad because of what he has gone through, losing his job with the state of 12 years and humility of bring up the past. and mad about ask the fire chief if he took this position would his felony be a problem, they sad no, see were from a small town growing, and never had a HR person in the city, now they hired one and they can't remember the conversation..

That's why they hire an HR person; when you don't have one, bad decisions get made. Like this one.

But the law doesn't prohibit them from correcting a mistake.

not a bad decision, he was fireman of the year dec. 2006 and risk his life for 2 1/2 year for the city of coolidge. i guess you dont believe in 2nd chances

I'm not the one who fired him. My opinion doesn't cut any weight with those that did.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back