Will an unpaid redlight ticket realistically affect my credit score or license?

R

rollingstone

Jurisdiction
Illinois
I got a red light camera ticket while I was in Chicago on vacation, I am from Ohio so I'm strongly considering just not paying it. Actually, I've made up my mind not to because regardless or what any law states, I feel it's extremely unfair. They have a video of me not fully coming to a stop before making a right turn on red. I rolled to the edge of the street because I couldn't clearly see oncoming traffic otherwise to safely make the turn. When I rolled out to check, the light had JUST changed, and traffic was about to come, so I quickly made the turn without coming to a complete stop. I was not driving recklessly whatsoever, I did what I thought was safe in an unfamiliar and intimidating city. Something important to note is that, I was driving my mother's car and she is the one who received the ticket. She was not in Chicago. First, how would you fight this ticket? And second, assuming we don't pay the ticket, will it be put onto her credit report and is there anything they can do about it if her vehicle is no longer driven in Illinois? I read something about how it would have to be over $100 for it to affect her credit report. The fine is $100. Appreciate any and all advice.

You'll have to decide what you want to do.
It's your life, your credit, your choice.
Yes, if you fail to pay the tribute demanded by any government agency usually they'll "sic" the collector dogs on you.

I feel it's extremely unfair.

Fair is where you go on rides and eat cotton candy. Has nothing to do with traffic citations.

First, how would you fight this ticket?

You can't fight it. You got nailed. Your reasons don't count.

And second, assuming we don't pay the ticket, will it be put onto her credit report

It will likely be sent to collections eventually and that will go on her credit report.

IL may also suspend her driving privileges. That suspension will be picked up in her license state and her license could also be suspended there.

I read something about how it would have to be over $100 for it to affect her credit report. The fine is $100.

Once a collection agency gets it, they will add their fees and costs and it will be over $100.

Do you really want to put your mother through all that crap just to save $100?

If you do, you are the lowest of the low.

Pay the damned fine and get over it. Make sure it goes on your driving record and not hers, otherwise her insurance rates go up.

I'm sure there are many laws that people think are unfair. That doesn't give them a free pass. Pay the ticket.

With red light cameras and speed cameras, it is the vehicle that is cited, not the driver. The camera does not know and you can't always tell who is behind the wheel. The only way out of it is to follow the administrative process outlined with the ticket to challenge it, or submit proof the vehicle was stolen or part of a funeral procession.

In other words, your mother will owe. She can ask you to pay for it since you were the one who ran the light, but legally she is responsible. It can go to collections and affect credit and while her license is unlikely to be suspended, her registration might not be renewed.

If the owner of the car fights the ticket they will obviously be asked who was driving the vehicle. And unless it was stolen, the owner has the problem of responsibility and liability. And if you don't show up in court and your mother chooses to fight the ticket, it can be a rough time in traffic court.

True story. I did a favor for a friend and agreed to fight his traffic ticket in front of a Judge in Traffic Court at the Queens County Department of Motor Vehicles in Springfield Gardens regarding an incident in Jamaica. The defendant driver didn't want to show up because he has patients he had scheduled on the court date for what he believed was a ridiculous "BS traffic ticket." I told him that while I agreed about the traffic ticket, it would not be a good sign at all - even though it was only a hearing in front of an ALJ (Administrative Law Judge).

I came armed to traffic court with photos, videos and all sorts of proof to show that the sign (no left turn during certain hours) was practically invisible to the average motorist. This is because the city put the sign on a traffic pole on the right side sidewalk (opposite the direction a driver would be looking to turn) and has a very busy bus lane and a bus stop between the sign and the outer lane for cars - which is in the middle of the street at least 15 feet away. Even more odd is that drivers coming from the side road would never see this sign - yet they still ticket the drivers. I don't think I need to explain.

To make a long story short, I had to keep a straight face as I was watching the court clerk rolling her eyes every time the judge explained the significant issues she was having regarding the reliability of my evidence. Bus schedules weren't sufficient to show that easily the most congested street in the neighborhood with a dedicated bus lane wasn't filled or likely to be with buses at or near the time of the incident. The police officer who was there on the street and patrols the area regularly couldn't even remember where the traffic sign was. He got it wrong when I asked him. He seemed to think that the sign would be in the reasonable place, visible to motorists.

It didn't matter to the judge that the officer wasn't sure if the driver actually saw the traffic sign or that the average driver would see a traffic sign 2 lanes away and on a light pole on the sidewalk. The judge wouldn't let me adjourn the case because the officer's partner wasn't there to be questioned. She claimed she set up her rules of court from the beginning and it was an all or nothing proposition - regardless of what the defendants could not have known.

I was left with an appeal where I could claim that the judge arbitrarily ruled against the driver. The traffic ticket would have to be paid first and you'd have to file the appeal after. More money and time to fight this preposterous ticket. It's quite possible that this could have been brought up to City Hall as a very embarrassing series of events. But you need to question whether your time is worth something and whether there are moments where you need to cut your losses.

I remember the TVB being in Lefrak City before they created a Queens North and Queens South.
Technically the Springfield Gardens location is Queens South. It's called Jamaica and technically it is for postal reasons but it's right on the border of Nassau County in a relatively remote area nobody would visit except for motor vehicles related issues. I think there are a bunch of auto repair places nearby (that look like chop shops, lol.) Of the traffic court issues I've dealt with, most were in Manhattan / New York County.
  • Queens South
    168-35 Rockaway Blvd
    2nd Floor
    Jamaica, NY 11434

I never considered that area to be Springfield Gardens, but then again what do I know - I was born in Da Bronx.
LOL - that's how it is spelled. :) I'm also with you on the feel of the location. It's funny how some parts of New York City are divided, which also can conflict with U.S. Post Office zoning.

Back