When your life style is in the best interest of the child and the other parent has custody

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chevyxc1976

Jurisdiction
New York
My child is 7 years old I am currently 24 and my sons birth father is 27. My son has resided with his grandparents with his father until recently. The father does not work or support himself I own a home vehicle and am fully responsible for myself and I can give my child a better life. His father recently moved out of his mothers house with my son switched his school and moved in with a woman he just met she has two other children. With in one month they were engaged within two months she's pregnant. Niether one have jobs and live in a two bedroom apt with no yard and three children share a small bedroom. He has never missed a day of school until he was pulled out of his first school. He missed 8 days. We asked him why he missed so much school he told us his daddy wouldn't get up to get him on the bus or ready. I'm concerned. Our custody agreement is five years old and I have co custody. I want to try to go for full what should I do. I can't afford insane legal council and his family is very wealthy and will lawyer up against me. What should I do.

Generally you have to have a change in circumstances in order to petition for custody change. The move or change in schools may or may not constitute. A lawyer who is familiar within your jurisdiction should be able to tell you if it'll be enough or not.

I understand completely how difficult it is to afford legal counsel. I would recommend calling around to find out if anyone offers free consultations in your area. Likely once you're in for a consultation, tell then your situation and also mention that you may not be able to afford a large retainer, they may be able to work with you on a payment plan.

Free consultations are always a great start. I urge you to try more than one.

I also wouldn't count on your ex having to pay your legal fees. It's a possibility for sure, but not likely. Even if you win. More times than not, the person who files first ends up with the court fees.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back