was detained at walmart because they said they had a video of me changing price tags

PiperPerry

Jurisdiction
California
I am being treated for bipolar 2 disorder. I really really wanted to get well and when the Dr finally got my meds fine tuned along with monthly visits with him in about 6 months I could just barely see light at the end of the tunnel but that was more than I had had in years. I had hope. in march 2015 I had an overwhelmingly unexpected tragedy blindside me. by the time I got to my Dr and told him what had happened I was a mess. But I told him that I didn't need my meds increased because I had been having good progress on what he had fine tuned for me so we decided to not change anything and I would see him again in around a month. during that month I received some mail it was part of the tragedy I had been dealing with. I opened it I was alone and didn't think anything about it when I was finished reading it I felt like iwas gonna puke and I wanted to die. I went so so so faraway and this time I was still trying to hold on but I couldn't. I was NOT myself I 4got that I was even on meds and one day I came out of my room had mypursemy wallet with my Walmart credit card and my check book we needed toilet paper and iwas going to get it. well I ended up being cited for 488 a pc

It looks like a petty theft charge. Do you have a lawyer?

I am being treated for bipolar 2 disorder. I really really wanted to get well and when the Dr finally got my meds fine tuned along with monthly visits with him in about 6 months I could just barely see light at the end of the tunnel but that was more than I had had in years. I had hope. in march 2015 I had an overwhelmingly unexpected tragedy blindside me. by the time I got to my Dr and told him what had happened I was a mess. But I told him that I didn't need my meds increased because I had been having good progress on what he had fine tuned for me so we decided to not change anything and I would see him again in around a month. during that month I received some mail it was part of the tragedy I had been dealing with. I opened it I was alone and didn't think anything about it when I was finished reading it I felt like iwas gonna puke and I wanted to die. I went so so so faraway and this time I was still trying to hold on but I couldn't. I was NOT myself I 4got that I was even on meds and one day I came out of my room had mypursemy wallet with my Walmart credit card and my check book we needed toilet paper and iwas going to get it. well I ended up being cited for 488 a pc

Don't expect your mental health issues to play any factor in any alleged scheme to switch price tags to pay less for your ground possum meat, buzzard sausage, or rattlesnake pâté.

I suggest you remain silent, appear in court as directed, plead not guilty, and ask the court if you qualify for a public defender.

Until you have a lawyer, it would be best not to discuss any aspect of these charges with anyone except your lawyer.

It looks like a petty theft charge. Do you have a lawyer?
No I do not

Don't expect your mental health issues to play any factor in any alleged scheme to switch price tags to pay less for your ground possum meat, buzzard sausage, or rattlesnake pâté.

I suggest you remain silent, appear in court as directed, plead not guilty, and ask the court if you qualify for a public defender.

Until you have a lawyer, it would be best not to discuss any aspect of these charges with anyone except your lawyer.
Thank you

I am a retail theft consultant and answer questions like yours daily. You need to shut up and talk to no one other than your Lawyer. He.she can tell you if you can successfully use your medical condition to defend yourself in court. Also keep in mind fighting the charge will cost much more than any fine. You should also discuss plea options with your Lawyer like ACD or diversion to protect your record.

In my original question which I had 2 wittle down due to not having enough space sounded more like a bold statement nothing could be further from the truth. I am so scared and discussed by what I did that I just want to die. I do not have a criminal record and now I will. I can't afford an attorney because I tried to kill myself and my husband and I are trying to pay those hospital bills off. I am afraid once my husband finds out about this, he will finally have enough. He has stuck by me through all of this other stuff but this time what I have done 'goes against everything he stands for, honesty and hard work. I can't tell u why I did it, I can't even tell u how I did it. All I can say is that I was so so so depressed that I just shut down and went into my own little world. when I was stopped I didn't know what they were talking about I let them go through the bags because I had more items than I had gone in for but I didn't think I had stolen anything the things that had different tags on them were not things that I needed or would use I was blown away when they showed me the altered tags. I'm still blown away and scared and ashamed. they told me they have me on tape doing it I wanted to see myself when I was doing it but they wouldn't show it to me

The tape really doesn't matter. Why?

Because the security personnel will testify to what was observed.

As stated above, plead NOT guilty, ask the judge if you qualify for a taxpayer funded PUBLIC DEFENDER.
You won't have to pay the PD, the state funds the cost.
Tell the lawyer your story, and see what he or she suggests.
Also discuss the matter with your psychiatrist.
He or she can discuss your condition with your lawyer.
It's a difficult situation, but you're not a rapist or a murderer.
So, continue your treatment, talk to your husband, hang in there, get better.

In regards to your marriage below is a link to "Parentnook" a forum for parenting and relationship issues. You can discuss your marriage concerns there and perhaps find someone who had similar issues and you can discuss how they got through it.

Back