Want to file a small claims lawsuit against mcdonalds for stolen laptop

SmallWheel23

Jurisdiction
California
Several months ago I was in a McDonalds with a friend and because of rowdy patrons I decided to move my items from 1 table to another. I moved my laptop to the 2nd table and walked briskly to the 1st table to retrieve my remaining items. As I walked to the 1st table a very tall thin person passed me. Returning to the 2nd table during a time in which perhaps only 20 seconds had elapsed, I realized that my laptop was gone. I immediately brought this to the attention of management at the counter. An assistant manager confirmed that he saw the individual snatch my laptop off the table and walk out the side exit. It turned out to be the person who had passed me as I walked between the 2 tables. Although I filed a report with the local Sheriff's office nothing ever came of this. A complaint to the McDonalds franchise owner got me nowhere because her insurance reviewed the incident and they say they see no responsibility on the part of McDonalds

McDonald's owed your property and you no legal duty to protect your property from theft.

You were the proximate cause for the theft by leaving your property unattended.

Your recourse would be against the thief, not the burger company.

How was the assistant manager supposed to know that the person picking up a laptop off an otherwise unattended table was not the legal owner?

I see no responsibility on MacDonald's part, either.

I agree - see no responsibility to McDonald's. What if someone took your wallet which you left on the table while going to get condiments? It's not their responsibility to watch over your items.

I also have to agree. McDonald's has no liability here.

Back