Shoplifting, Larceny, Robbery, Theft Walmart theft

Johnyboy1xz

Jurisdiction
North Carolina
Hey, i got caught stealing in walmart today. I had about 50$ worth of stuff when they caught me. They did not call police or get law enforcement involved at the time and talked to me about stealing and why its not worth it and everything. They did not ban me from the store or go through that paperwork. All they did was make a copy of my license and made me sign a paper basically allowing them to put my picture on their shoplifting database so that if i ever got caught again they would know i did it previously. They told me to expect a civil letter and a fine to pay for that letter. I am curious wether they will still contact police after the fact and have to go to court and deal with a criminal matter, or should i simply expect the letter and pay the money. I really am stressing about it and would like a little peace of mind. Could i call the loss prevention department and find out if they will press charges? Is 50 dollars even worth the time energy and court fees to make it a criminal matter?

Is 50 dollars even worth the time energy and court fees to make it a criminal matter?

Of course it is - to stop thieves like you.

If you pay the civil demand that you will receive then chances are that will be the end of it - no criminal charges.

If I was you I'd focus more on stopping myself from committing crimes.

Of course it is - to stop thieves like you.

If you pay the civil demand that you will receive then chances are that will be the end of it - no criminal charges.

If I was you I'd focus more on stopping myself from committing crimes.

I am not asking for judgement i am asking for advice and answers. Yes, i stole. No, i am not privy to doing this on a regular basis it was a one time stupid choice. I actually called them just now to apologize for the incident and to find out wether police will be involved and they told me no, police will not be involved and that they appreciated that i called to apologize for waisting their time and that they dont judge me for what i did and understand that sometimes people do stupid things. So advice is no longer necessary.

I am a Retail Theft consultant and answer questions like yours daily. If you pay the Civil Demand they (store you should not have named) has nothing to gain by involving Police. Fail to pay and that could change

I am not asking for judgement i am asking for advice and answers. Yes, i stole. No, i am not privy to doing this on a regular basis it was a one time stupid choice. I actually called them just now to apologize for the incident and to find out wether police will be involved and they told me no, police will not be involved and that they appreciated that i called to apologize for waisting their time and that they dont judge me for what i did and understand that sometimes people do stupid things. So advice is no longer necessary.
Oh you don't have to ask for judgment to get it. There are thousands of threads just like this one posted on this forum. They all pretty much say the same thing: "This was my first time..." "I know it was stupid and I'm soooo sorry." Of course you're sorry. Sorry you got caught.

No one on here is perfect but if you're an adult you know better than to steal especially when every story has cameras anymore.

Yes one time I stole when I was like 10. From the local grocery store. I got caught. I got banned from the store for a month. But it's such a small town they told my dad too...and that was much worse than anything else. (No he didn't hit any of us). The disappointment in his face was a worse punishment than anything I could have gotten. I never stole again after that.

My older brother stole from a Shopko once. He was doing it quite a bit before he got caught. Our oldest brother told him you know they have cameras and people who walk around pretending to be customers. "Oh no they don't." He got busted. Cops got called. The cop called my dad - and asked what he wanetd done with my brother. He told the cop "Take him to jail. Show him everything."

When my dad came to get him from jail, he didn't say a word and was pale as a ghost. He never stole again. Especially after our grandpa found out too.

Sometimes people make mistakes but those two cases we were pretty young. I keep seeing story after story on here from adults who know better. Sorry for the rant but it jus gets irritating to see the same story over and over again from people who should know better.

Im not saying im making excuses for what i did or that im sorry because i got caught. Yea i understand that, i should know better. I do feel terrible for what i did and it never stops running through my mind how much of a fuck up i am, why do i have to be the only one in my family who is a trouble maker, why do i have to be so weak. I dont deserve what i have and i dont deserve all the care and chances my family has given me. I can say i will never steal again but to be honest the guilt is killing me. Even though i know my parents will probably never find out about this because miraculously i got a slap on the wrist. I feel like telling them and i feel like going to them and telling it all because the guilt is killing me. The only thing i can think about is the look on their faces if they knew. I cant even sleep because all i can think about is how stupid i am. I hate the person i am and want to be different. I feel like signjng up for some kind of rehab to help me because when i have my weak moments i am very weak.

I feel like signjng up for some kind of rehab to help me because when i have my weak moments i am very weak.

That is the type of thinking that will keep you on the straight and narrow.
What you become in this life is entirely in your hands.
I have always lived my life to make my father an mother proud of me.
Both are dead, but there's not a day I don't think of the values they taught me.
I was our high school valedictorian because my parents kept telling me that GOOD is not the BEST a person can do.
I was taught to be my BEST self.
I graduated with a 4.0 during the time when an "A" was the highest grade you could achieve.
I'm not bragging, because I hated it at the time.
Today I cherish each moment I spent perfecting my "product", my grades.

I posted all of that to say to you, don't beat yourself up.
Just tell yourself from this moment forward you;ll endeavor to be the best person you can become.
It will be a process, so stay the course.
You can change your path.
I feel the anguish that you possess.
Let it go, and be better, do better, become the best you, mate.

Confessing to your mother and father gets you nothing.
It only causes them more pain.
Don't tell, just do.
However, telling them you get what they've been teaching you will help.
Then start to show them.
Show them by changing, and one day they'll tell you, "Great job, you've become a better person, you've changed."

Back