Domestic Violence & Civil Orders Victim of Assault

K

Krmartindale23

Jurisdiction
South Carolina
In March 2015, my fiancé and I had an altercation which resulted in him (he was sober) picking me up, throwing me on the bed and choking me and then punching me two times. Scared (I was 21 at the time), I was in so much shock at first that I ran to the bathroom to see what my face looked like. I came to my senses and tried to leave but my fiancé was standing in my way and took my keys, all ways of communication away and would not let me leave. Finally after sobbing and begging, I was able to jerk the keys away from him and ran outside to my car where I called my mom to meet me. She met me and we told my dad what happened and he called the police. We went to the police station and the hospital and then I gave my statement.....my statement was truthful on the actions that occurred, but I lied about my fiancé living with me and lied about him never having a violent past when questioned. At the time, I felt like this was all my fault, I didn't want my parents to know he lived with me and wanted to somehow (and for some reason) protect him....the night went on and he was arrested for attempt in murder and kidnapping. I was in complete depression and heavy with the feeling of guilt for a few weeks after and was completely dumb by seeing him with a no contact order on him and he had a electronic monitoring device on him as well. I stopped keeping in contact with a month and a half later bc I realized he was hacking into my email to keep tabs on me and I came to my senses and realized that i should not feel guilty bc this is not my fault and his actions were the same even after all of this. So I stopped contact and told him not to contact me ever again and he hasn't since then. But it's been over a year and the prosecutor is preparing for trial bc he has not accepted the plea offer (felony assault with restraining order/unsure about charges with the kidnapping). I know I can't lie I court about what I left out of the statement and questioning, what do I do to tell the truth, before trial, to the prosecutor? My statement was true with the actions that happened, but I lied by not telling them he lived with me and that he was narcissistic prior to all of this.

Don't worry about what you did or didn't say. You had endured a beating, were almost killed, and were upset.

Just tell the truth if asked.

Whether he lived with you or not, changes little, other than involving domestic violence.

I hope you're healing, and don't ever allow ANYONE to abuse you again.
Don't allow anyone to live with you, unless you're married, and be very slow to marry anyone.

Don't even say hello to ex-cons, former felons, get to know someone before allowing them into your life!!!

Ask your mom, she can help you better understand.

I know I can't lie I court about what I left out of the statement and questioning, what do I do to tell the truth, before trial, to the prosecutor? My statement was true with the actions that happened, but I lied by not telling them he lived with me and that he was narcissistic prior to all of this.

Whatever questions are put to you, all you can do is answer them truthfully, no matter what the consequences.

It's likely that the prosecution already has all the facts about your living arrangements and his past and will limit the questions to cover just the violent acts he committed.

Unfortunately, his defense attorney is likely to explore those issues in an effort to reduce your credibility. Nothing you can do about that except answer truthfully.

Back