Verbal rental agreement..renters rights

melinda waltrip

Jurisdiction
Texas
We were asked to move in, clean up the hoarders( His aunt's house) mess and make it our home since she moved into her deceased sisters house. Six months later..house looking great, gas repairs made and back bills paid for her..she has since entered our home through a window, broken into the garage trying to get into her house right after i had let her in( she waited till i drove off) and is now demanding we leave the house and put all her stuff back In it. Most was ruined and rat/ squirrel pea/ pooped on. What are our rights?? We gave up where we were living to help her out and now this?!

So, you did a favor for a crazy relative and are getting screwed. What a surprise.

Anyway, whatever you did for her has monetary value and was the equivalent of RENT for the period that you lived there.

That makes you a "tenant at will" and all she needs to do is give you the required one month written notice of termination of your tenancy.

2015 Texas Statutes :: PROPERTY CODE :: TITLE 8 - LANDLORD AND TENANT :: CHAPTER 91 - PROVISIONS GENERALLY APPLICABLE TO LANDLORDS AND TENANTS

Once she does that, you might as well find another place to live because, at the end of the one month notice period you have no more "rights" and she can evict you through the courts. An eviction goes on your credit reports and gives you big problems afterwards.

So, you did a favor for a crazy relative and are getting screwed. What a surprise.

Anyway, whatever you did for her has monetary value and was the equivalent of RENT for the period that you lived there.

That makes you a "tenant at will" and all she needs to do is give you the required one month written notice of termination of your tenancy.

2015 Texas Statutes :: PROPERTY CODE :: TITLE 8 - LANDLORD AND TENANT :: CHAPTER 91 - PROVISIONS GENERALLY APPLICABLE TO LANDLORDS AND TENANTS

Once she does that, you might as well find another place to live because, at the end of the one month notice period you have no more "rights" and she can evict you through the courts. An eviction goes on your credit reports and gives you big problems afterwards.
Thank you. I was thinking the same thing but I won't make it easy for her. Not after having rats crawl on me at night and roaches in every corner for 3 months...now that its cleaned and critter/ bug free everyone wants the house. Oh well. Try to do something nice for someone....

I'll say it again.
If anyone asks you to do something, give something, you need not answer; but if you do all you need to do is say one word, "NO!"

I'll say it again.
If anyone asks you to do something, give something, you need not answer; but if you do all you need to do is say one word, "NO!"
Ok. So while we were out today the owner and two other relatives broke a window, got in and was in the process of changing the locks. We were to meet them there at two..they showed up at ten thirty and the owner had give through our personal items...jewelry box, drawers etc. We were going to be there to let them in...can they treat us this way?? Do we have any legal rights?? We were in the process of looking for a house while we were being violated.

I already told you what they needed to legally get you out. They are proceeding with a self help eviction that is illegal in Texas.

Trouble is, you are likely going to have to keep one of you in the house at all times and refuse to leave while the other one goes to court and seeks an injunction against the illegal behavior.

You may need a lawyer for that.

If you don't want to hire a lawyer and have no idea how to seek an injunction in court and you aren't prepared to defend yourself from violent confrontations you might just be wise to get your belongings into storage tomorrow and yourselves into a motel.

It's up to you whether to "suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune or take up arms against a sea of troubles."

(Figuratively, of course.)

Ok. So while we were out today the owner and two other relatives broke a window, got in and was in the process of changing the locks. We were to meet them there at two..they showed up at ten thirty and the owner had give through our personal items...jewelry box, drawers etc. We were going to be there to let them in...can they treat us this way?? Do we have any legal rights?? We were in the process of looking for a house while we were being violated.

You should have called the police to document the alleged "illegal" lockout.
I suppose you did take pictures , or even recorded the antics of the law breaking, burglarizing hooligans.

By the way, the "landlord gang" committed a crime, a felony - "breaking & entering, as in burglary".

The next time, I'm about 80% sure there will be a next time, call "911" to report the crime.

You should have called the police to document the alleged "illegal" lockout.
I suppose you did take pictures , or even recorded the antics of the law breaking, burglarizing hooligans.

By the way, the "landlord gang" committed a crime, a felony - "breaking & entering, as in burglary".

The next time, I'm about 80% sure there will be a next time, call "911" to report the crime.
Police were there. They said they didn't think it was against the law since it was her house..I said I have rights too. They did nothing. Yeah Mesquite Texas police. I did take pictures of the broken window and things thrown about the house.

Back