Unsure of how to plead in this situation

Vica Keo

Jurisdiction
New York
Two years ago i received a couple of tickets for window tinting and suspended registration. I cleared everything up right there and then, but did not show up to court because of financial struggles at the time. I called the court and asked to pay the fines, but was told that the fine wasn't set and I need to write a letter to the judge with my name, address, DOB and my plea. I have an invoice from the tint removal and a renewed registration of my vehicle. I don't mind just paying the fines, but if there is a way for a reduction (which it sounded like over the phone), I'll gladly take it. I'm wondering if i should plead not guilty along with those copies in the letter, or do those documents automatically show that I was guilty? Any advice is welcomed!

So two years ago you got ticketed, paid the fine/tinting/registration, skipped court but wrote the letter as requested. I'm not sure what your question is. If those tickets are still outstanding and you skipped court, there is likely a warrant out on you and or your license is likely suspended. You are two years late to be asking for leniency or just getting around to settling this. I strongly suggest speaking to a lawyer.

Nope, fines were not paid, skipped court, just had registration and tint issues fixed.
I spoke to the court over the phone, and what I'm being told is the fines have not been set since I pulled a no-show on the court date. There is no warrant, but my licence is suspended. They want a letter from me with my info and my plea. My question is:
would it be appropriate to plea "not guilty" with proper documentation that my registration was renewed and the tint taken off?

Nope, fines were not paid, skipped court, just had registration and tint issues fixed.
I spoke to the court over the phone, and what I'm being told is the fines have not been set since I pulled a no-show on the court date. There is no warrant, but my licence is suspended. They want a letter from me with my info and my plea. My question is:
would it be appropriate to plea "not guilty" with proper documentation that my registration was renewed and the tint taken off?

You failed to appear.
I suggest you speak with several local attorneys and see if one or two of them can get you a "deal".

Operating a vehicle with a suspended registration is a misdemeanor, i.e. a CRIME, in New York State and requires a personal appearance in court on the date printed on the ticket. Since you skipped court you probably have a warrant out for your arrest and possibly a suspended driver's license.

Window tint is NOT a correctable equipment violation since it is NOT defective equipment - it is an intentional modification made to the vehicle.

Having financial problems certainly did not mean you could not make an appearance in court. You just made matters much worse by not showing up.

You cannot just pay the fines - you must deal with the repercussions of having committed a crime and then not appearing in court.

You MUST appear at some time and deal with the mess you've made. I would consult a traffic attorney ASAP.

What court is this?

Per your post the registration and tint were not handled until after the ticket. Do not compound your problems by lying and trying to claim the work was done prior to the ticket being issued.

Back