Alcohol & Drugs: MIP, MIC, Intoxication Transporting Alcohol Across State Lines

Status
Not open for further replies.

schachinger40

Hello,

I apologize if this is the wrong place for this topic (This forum is huge!). I live in Tampa Florida and am getting married next year in Virginia. Would I be violating any laws by transporting (driving) multiple kegs of beer and a considerable amount of liquor between states? I won't be re-selling any of it and it will all be used for the wedding. I may even have to purchase kegs from different states along the way (e.g. NC or GA) depending on availability of beer. I have been told that some states may have laws limiting the amount you can transport. Where could I look to confirm these laws?

Thanks in advance!

Hello,

I apologize if this is the wrong place for this topic (This forum is huge!). I live in Tampa Florida and am getting married next year in Virginia. Would I be violating any laws by transporting (driving) multiple kegs of beer and a considerable amount of liquor between states? I won't be re-selling any of it and it will all be used for the wedding. I may even have to purchase kegs from different states along the way (e.g. NC or GA) depending on availability of beer. I have been told that some states may have laws limiting the amount you can transport. Where could I look to confirm these laws?

Thanks in advance!

It is normally not illegal to transport quantities of alcohol for personal consumption.
When you do that, the containers must remain sealed and away from the passenger area.
Now, does that mean 1 keg or 300 kegs?
Does it mean three fifths of vodka compared to 300 cases of vodka?
I wouldn't even begin to do this, and if you wanted to do this, it isn't too smart to seek important advice from strangers.
You won't save that much doing this, and you only open yourself up for trouble if you get stopped.
If I were you, I'd arrange a deal in the state where the event will be held.
Otherwise, if saving money is your goal, don't buy any alcohol.

...it isn't too smart to seek important advice from strangers.

Hence why I asked:
Where could I look to confirm these laws?

I'm not about to leave this up to a stranger but would appreciate some guidance. That is after all, what this forum is for, is it not? I am not attempting to save money by doing this. If anything I am going to end up spending MORE money. I am talking about 3-4 kegs and a couple dozen bottles of liquor. If I buy from the town the wedding is in then I'll be stuck with Bud, Miller, etc... So, I don't mind going out of my way to provide beer that people will enjoy.

Your state likely has a specific agency that regulates alcohol matters, usually known as ABC (Alcohol Beverage Control). Contact them and the agency in the state you plan to travel to.

Your easiest solution is likely to just travel to the state and make all purchases there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back