They will not fix my air!

J

JT Kline

Jurisdiction
Tennessee
I have complained 4 times about my air being out in my apartment. I just moved in mid-May and I made my initial complaint about my air on May 23. They provided me a window air unit that barely works. My son and I have to sleep in the living room where the unit is installed because the rest of the house is still so hot. So I'm wondering if I have a legal right to break my lease. I can't take living there anymore.

So I'm wondering if I have a legal right to break my lease.

Maybe. But you will have to carefully follow the procedures in the TN landlord tenant statute.

See 66-28-304 - Maintenance by Landlord at:

2015 Tennessee Code :: Title 66 - Property :: Chapter 28 - Uniform Residential Landlord and Tenant Act :: Part 3 - Landlord Obligations :: § 66-28-304 - Maintenance by landlord.

And 66-28-502 - Failure to Supply Essential Services at:

2015 Tennessee Code :: Title 66 - Property :: Chapter 28 - Uniform Residential Landlord and Tenant Act :: Part 5 - Enforcement and Remedies :: § 66-28-502 - Failure to supply essential services.

Note the requirement of written notice to the landlord.

I have complained 4 times about my air being out in my apartment. I just moved in mid-May and I made my initial complaint about my air on May 23. They provided me a window air unit that barely works. My son and I have to sleep in the living room where the unit is installed because the rest of the house is still so hot. So I'm wondering if I have a legal right to break my lease. I can't take living there anymore.

Ask your landlord if you can BUY two additional window units, one for your room, one for your son's.

Ask in writing, don't do anything until you receive a written response.

THEIR laws aren't very helpful for us poor folk.

We poor folk have to ask THEM, and must be ready to help ourselves, when the RICH folk allow us to do so.

You can buy small room units for about $100 each.

You can buy small room units for about $100 each.

I suggest springing for the $150 or so units. I bought the $100 unit for my little home office and it falls short.

On the other hand I don't think Tennessee gets to over 100 degrees like here in AZ although I suspect humidity might be an issue there.

I suggest springing for the $150 or so units. I bought the $100 unit for my little home office and it falls short.

On the other hand I don't think Tennessee gets to over 100 degrees like here in AZ although I suspect humidity might be an issue there.

True, but you've got bucks.
The $100 units are for those that lack bucks. LOL

Before you consider breaking your lease over this matter (and possibly facing the risk of an eviction on your credit history for doing so) it is important to make certain air conditioning is even a requirement that a landlord must provide in your state.

Many tenants do not realize that while an adequate source of heat is legally required, many states do not require that a landlord provide a source of air conditioning. If your lease states that air conditioning is a part of the lease it also likely does not state what type of air (i.e., central versus window units for example) not how much this air must cool the rental unit.

This is why the simplest answer (and often easiest on the tenants pocketbook) is to buy those window units and place them in bedrooms for ease of sleeping at night. That's what I do in my own house since there are now only two of us living there and an 8000 BTU window air conditioner keeps the bedroom nice and cool at night and avoids running the central air for the whole upstairs.

If you have a Lowes nearby you can get 10 percent off coupons through ebay to help with the cost of buying a window air conditioner.

Gail

Back