Terminate alimony

I received a motion from my ex for termination of alimony do to cohabitation. He wants me to except half of the arrears. He hired an investigator last month that has pictures of my car at my fiances 15 out of 16 times they took pictures. The reason for the investigation he found out I bought a few unit apartment (house) two years ago. If I don't except the agreement of 1/2 the arrears he wants to make me pay him back for those 2 years. Can this be right?

You don't want to discuss this with anyone but an attorney.
Free internet advice on such an important financial matter is not helful.
Talk to three or four lawyers in your county.
Hire one to represent your interests.
Don't communicate with your former spouse.
Don't comment on this is in anyway, don't admit, or deny.
Just STFU, and hire yourself a real lawyer!

Can this be right?

Sure can.

NJ law allows for the adjustment or elimination of alimony based on changes in financial circumstances. Being able to buy apartments seems to qualify for that.

It also allows for the termination of alimony due to cohabitation and the statute is clear that you don't necessarily have to be living in the same house for cohabitation to occur.

Looks like your ex has you nailed and your ride on the gravy train is over. Might want to make the best deal you can to avoid the cost of litigation and avoid you and your fiance having to testify about your sex life in open court.

Sex or money, I always choose money.
Sex or food, I always choose food.
Sex or fun, I always choose fun.
Sex is overrated.
Sex involves work.
I never liked work.
I once was forced to work.
Today I'm free of the addiction, masquerading as work.
Sex usually ends up costing you something.
But, hey, mama always said I was odd.
She was right as rain.

Hello all. Sorry for the belated response.

Poster, depends on what you mean by "can this be right?"

"If I don't [accept] the agreement of 1/2 the arrears he wants to make me pay him back for those 2 years."

You don't say how far in arrears he is. At any rate, a court (behaving properly) won't grant him a termination of alimony retroactively even if he proves that alimony should be reduced or terminated due to X-Y-Z circumstances.

I presume your response to his motion was to bring up the topic of how he hasn't been paying since whenever, and thus violating the decree.

As for whether a court will reduce alimony (far more likely than termination, but depends), we can't know. Surely you've sought counsel.

Back