Tenant brought bed bugs into apartment

Discussion in 'Other Residential Landlord & Tenant Issues' started by ajbuild, Oct 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ajbuild

ajbuild Law Topic Starter New Member

I am a landlord/contractor. I have invested in some nice rental properties. I have worked to get these building in top shape.I rented to tenants that brought bed bugs with them when they moved. I think that all my tenants are wonderful. They are my customers and I do whatever it takes to treat them with respect and make sure they get what they want.
    I had a city inspection and noticed that this tenant had their mattress missing and the bedroom was being cleaned too well. I wrote them a note asking them if they were having problems and told them I would help them in any way that i could.They confirmed bed bugs.I went to work right away to correct the problem.
    My investment is the most important issue here. (first step)
    To date, I have not shown them any negitivity,pointed any fingers; I am just there to help.
    I am stuck thinking of a fair way to be compensated. I dont want to change the tone of our relationship.
    The normal thing would be eviction.I want to wait until they are ready to move, keep their security and bill them
    for the rest. Note sure if I can bill for time and materials. Not sure if the problem has been corrected long term.
    I will have to continue to monitor and exterminte the situation for 2 years.All comments welcome.

2. mightymoose

mightymoose Well-Known Member

You certainly can use the deposit to address the problem initially, but monitoring the matter for two years will be a cost that will fall on you. It is likely not worth the effort to demand money on top of the deposit or take them to court as you will likely never see anything the court awards you.

3. ajbuild

ajbuild Law Topic Starter New Member

yes that might be true. I might see something in the future with a lein.
    I can wait for them to sue me when they dont get back a security then counter-sue.
    A bed bug life span is 18 months. very expensive to treat.
    The funny thing is no one likes to talk about it when it happens to them.
    This is why we have whole citys infected. In the near future you will see a law that requires you to put
    a plastic cover on your bed. so invest in plastic

4. army judge

army judge Super Moderator

You might want to become familiar with the laws in your state surrounding "security deposits".

For security deposits in PA that exceed $100, landlords are REQUIRED to deposit the funds in a federally or state regulated financial institution. Landlords are to provide to the the tenant the name, address of the banking institution, and the amount of the deposit. Additionally Pennsylvania law mandates tenants who occupy a rental unit for two or more years are entitled to receive interest paid on the security deposit beginning on the 25th month of occupancy.

http://www.thelpa.com/lpa/landlord-tenant-law/pennsylvania-security-deposit-law.html

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.