Technical GVWR Question

Aiden Clark

Jurisdiction
Alabama
I plan to buy a used school bus that has a GVWR of 26,001 lbs. and up, which requires a class A CDL. But I plan on modifying it by removing the shell and mounting a pickup truck cab onto it instead, which does not require a CDL what so ever. So my question is, since I am strictly using the vehicle for personal use only, and the VIN on the pickup cab will be on the registration, will the vehicle still require a CDL of some sort to operate?

Ask your state DMV, State Police, County Sheriff, or local Police Agency.

Ask your state DMV, State Police, County Sheriff, or local Police Agency.
OH, insofar as the answer is concerned, I'd endeavor to get it in writing or the state statute citation that supports the conclusion. (If one exists, however.)

You could write a letter to your elected state governor, senator, or legislator.
That way, it'll take a tad linger for the response, BUT it'll be in writing, memorialized for all eternity.

Never leap into anything based solely on your conclusions and/or assumptions.

Always seek the answer reduced and memorialized to WRITTEN human communication on official letterhead.

"Commercial driver license requirements do not apply to drivers of vehicles used for personal use such as recreational vehicles which would otherwise meet the definition of a commercial motor vehicle"

32-6-49.7(a)

That's not the newest version, but the 2022 version looks to be the same.
With that said, you may still need a higher class of license, just not a CDL. Ask the folks at the MVD.

I was the "person having responsibility" or some such title for a construction company having several CDL trucks, as well as USDOT interstate commercial registration. I dealt with USDOT special agents, the state patrol and counties. A lot of the individuals would incorrectly quote the law, especially if they weren't specifically detailed to that enforcement.

Except for California domiciled individuals operating in California, the laws don't apply to privately operated vehicles not used commercially.

Black letter law.

Asking is likely to get you a guess or an exceedingly cautious answer in error.

I was the "person having responsibility" or some such title for a construction company having several CDL trucks, as well as USDOT interstate commercial registration. I dealt with USDOT special agents, the state patrol and counties. A lot of the individuals would incorrectly quote the law, especially if they weren't specifically detailed to that enforcement.

Except for California domiciled individuals operating in California, the laws don't apply to privately operated vehicles not used commercially.

Black letter law.

Asking is likely to get you a guess or an exceedingly cautious answer in error.
My apologies - I thought you were the OP for some reason, although you are obviously not. Thank you for the info.

I had a massively long roadside conversation with a sheriffs deputy about whether a 25,999 flatbed power unit towing a welding machine licensed for 6,000 pounds requires a CDL. The answer is no, but he was having none of that no matter how many times he reviewed the USDOT and Washington DOL flow chart

All states have the same flow chart

Back