switching schools

Scorpio0823

Jurisdiction
Pennsylvania
If the custodial parent lives in PA and would like to find a bigger home for children when lease is up. Non custodial lives in FL with shared legal as it usually is...
Can custodial parent move to a bigger place? Its not out of the state and its not going to conflict with visitation since custodial takes child to airport. But it might make child switch schools. Do I have to get that approved before I do it? I don't know for sure Im moving. I just want to look when my lease is up.

If the custodial parent lives in PA and would like to find a bigger home for children when lease is up. Non custodial lives in FL with shared legal as it usually is...
Can custodial parent move to a bigger place? Its not out of the state and its not going to conflict with visitation since custodial takes child to airport. But it might make child switch schools. Do I have to get that approved before I do it? I don't know for sure Im moving. I just want to look when my lease is up.

Read your court order in custody.
You are allowed to do as the order instructs.
If you follow the order, you should have no problem.
If the order is unclear, hire an attorney to advise you.
Don't rely on what strangers who have not read the order suggest you do, as it could cause you grief.

Agree that if the custody order is not clear, run it by an attorney to be on the safe side before doing anything.

Yeah it doesn't say anything but she has legal custody for major decisions which would be schools. She would do anything and everything to take the child and use anything she can. We are not planning on staying in an apartment. We do want a house one day obviously.

I have so many questions about this situation. Its ridiculous. I'm told one thing by this lawyer another by another lawyer. And the father doesn't want to do anything wrong on his end since he had done everything right so far.

Ask your lawyer if you're FREE to relocate when your lease expires.
If the other parent resides in FL, I don't see a move as prohibited, even if you moved to another state.

The school choice is most likely yours to make, as the kid resides with you most of the time.

Be clear and specific when you ask a question.
Ask only one question, using one sentence.

If you need to ask a second question, follow my suggested protocol.

I have so many questions about this situation. Its ridiculous. I'm told one thing by this lawyer another by another lawyer. And the father doesn't want to do anything wrong on his end since he had done everything right so far.

Are you the custodial parent or are you a spouse?

If the other parent has input into schools, them your spouse can not just change the child's school without consulting the other parent. It all depends on what the order actually says. Of course, as with anything else, the other parent is free to file for a modification of the order to include school choice.

You are getting way ahead of yourself. For one, you could look at homes in the same district. Two, your spouse needs to COMMUNICATE with the other parent with whom he created this child and discuss how/where the child is to be educated.

Oh no don't get me wrong. They would discuss it. Its just I think she would oppose it because she would do that. We can't live in an apartment forever.

Why assume the worst? Maybe the other parent would be totally fine with Junior living in a nice house in a better district. There is nothing you can do at this point so playing the "What If" game is pointless. And people do live in apartments their entire lives. It is hardly the end of the world.

Back