Suing for Lost Wages due to Incompetent Advisment

H

Hearnb053

Jurisdiction
Ohio
Hello,

I'm writing to field a question about my ability to sue my university for lost wages and reinstatement fees that are a result of my academic adviser's negligence.

My academic adviser was disconnected from my progress through the curriculum and did not alert me to steps that needed to be completed in order for me to graduate (email records will demonstrate his non-involvement). My graduation was delayed by a semester, and I have been out of work for about two months. In addition to being out of work, I am unable to obtain my license until I have a degree. Working in my field (mental health counseling) would have earned approximately $8-10K in the time that my degree has been delayed. Since missing this paperwork, my adviser has done no follow up with me to ensure that I graduate and I just found out through another faculty member that I'll have to pay a reinstatement fee ($750) to the university so that I can get my degree. I was never alerted to any of this by the person who is in charge of ensuring that I made it through graduation.

Do I have any recourse to his negligence?

Do I have any recourse to his negligence?

Probably NOT.

Focus on obtaining the credentials required to practice your profession, seeking employment, and look to the future, not the past.

Back