Shoplifting, Larceny, Robbery, Theft shoplifting

G

grandma61

Jurisdiction
Mississippi
I was stopped at local walmart for shoplifting. I had over $100 of merchandise I had purchased and a $10 dvd did not get checked because my purse was sitting on it and I did not see it. Security caught me before I got out of the store. I tried to explain what happened, they accused me of taking some other things but it was on my receipt. They took alot of information, but because i could not find my ID in a timely manner the police were called. I was not arrested but told I would be getting some papers in the mail in a few days. I did get the letters and I did what was asked of me before the dead line. Now a year later, I am trying to pay a ticket for expired drivers license ( only 12 days expired) and while at the police dept I am told that even though I paid the civil deal of $200 that walmart was pressing criminal charges on me. I know I need a lawyer but is there anything that I can do to keep from going to court ?

I suggest you appear in court, plead not guilty, hire a lawyer (or ask if you qualify for a public defender), and avail yourself of the right to remain silent.

This link is the statue in MS that defines the MS civil demand process.

It appears by paying the demand in MS one isn't shielded from criminal prosecution. Therefore, I suggest you immediately consult a MS criminal defense lawyer, or two.

2013 Mississippi Code :: Title 97 - CRIMES :: Chapter 23 - OFFENSES AFFECTING TRADE, BUSINESS AND PROFESSIONS :: § 97-23-96 - Civil remedy for shoplifting violations; written demand prior to commencing civil proceedings; recovery from parents or legal guardians of minors; costs

I am a Retail Theft consultant and answer questions like yours daily. Civil Demand and criminal case (if any) are unrelated. It seems to me that a case was filed at time and you never showed up to court. As instructed you need to talk to a Lawyer to discuss your options. It was also unwise to name store on public forum

Back