Shoplifting

Melbar

Jurisdiction
Illinois
I got caught shoplifting at Kmart. They are going out business and having their final sales. The amount of the merchandise was $28. I was not arrested but a police officer did come. He wrote me a ticket (I guess you would call it) to appear at the city hall building. He said something about munciple ordinance. He said it was a civil matter and would not appear on my record. He told me I won't be arrested. What are all possibilities that could happen at the hearing? I am a nursing student and made a dumb mistake. Can if ever show up on a background check?

He said something about munciple ordinance.

Look at the ticket and tell us what city and what ordinance number is written on the ticket.

He said it was a civil matter and would not appear on my record.

Cops say a lot of things to get people to accept what is happening without an argument. They are allowed to lie.

He told me I won't be arrested.

If, by arrested, you mean taken away in handcuffs, no, but you are being prosecuted for a crime, make no mistake about that.

What are all possibilities that could happen at the hearing?

Too many possibilities to try to list, the worst of which is a conviction.

I made a dumb mistake

Common lament of people who don't think about the consequences of what they do when they do it.

Can if ever show up on a background check?

People report that anything and everything shows up on background checks these days when the whole world is connected by computers.

Can't know without the city and the ordinance number.

However, under state law it's a Class A misdemeanor that carries a penalty of up to one year in jail and a fine of up to $2500.

A Class A misdemeanor definitely gives you a criminal record that might prevent you from getting a nursing license.

In addition to criminal prosecution you may also end up getting a civil demand from the store to pay X dollars.

Again, city and ordinance number, please, and I'll do a little more looking.

Danville Illinois. Vermilion county. All the ticket says is my information and the victim information which is the person who caught me. It is blank where it says charges. Docket number is blank and so is report#. The is a 26758 stamped at the very top of ticket. Thank you very much.

See Danville Municipal Code Title XIII - General Offenses Section 132.20 Retail Theft:

American Legal Publishing - Online Library

The ordinance follows the state law and the offense at the municipal level is also a Class A misdemeanor.

I strongly urge you to consult an attorney before you go to court and make sure you don't discuss this with anybody other than the attorney because anybody you talk to about it can be called as a witness against you.

An attorney is likely to know how to get this reduced to an infraction or deferred adjudication where you do some probation, classes, community service or some such, and then it gets dismissed. You won't know how to do that so consider attorney fees as well spent as the cost of protecting your potential career as a nurse.

I am a Retail Theft consultant and answer questions like yours daily. You have been charged with theft which is a misdemeanor if convicted it will be on your record making career options limited. As instructed discuss your legal options with an
Attorney. Be sure to ask about ACD or Diversion which could protect your record. The Civil matter is Civil Demand unrelated to any court fines etc I suggest you pay this read below.

A recent writing of mine - Parent Nook Forums
Civil Recovery

Back