Shoplifting, Larceny, Robbery, Theft shoplifing $40 ..please help

jjj3443

Jurisdiction
California
I was charged with petty theft at a big retail store. They took me to a room and I signed civil demand form. The item value is $40. They called a police and I got a citation with court date. I have clean record and this is my first charge. Is it possible to have a case dismiss? I'm think about using a lawyer but I dont have much money. Do I need a lawyer to get best outcome for me? How much would they charge for a case like this?

I'm also in a job searching process and they do criminal background check. Will the charge show up and prevent me from getting an offer? (if they check before court date)

Search this and other forums.
All of your questions have been asked and answered thousands of times.

I am a Retail Theft consultant and answer questions like yours daily. You are best served by using a Lawyer in your case. When you meet this Lawyer ask about ACD or Diversion to protect your record. CRB can vary which is why Diversion or the like is so important. If your seeking employment in retail then you also need to be concerned if the store you stole from uses a Retail Theft database

Orange county,CA
I got a citation to be in court for petty theft next week for sn arriangement. The value of item is $35 amd it happened at big retail store. I have a job and probably not qualify for Public defendent. I talked with private attorneys on the phone and they all said they can get a case dismissed with me give dna sample and donation. I have lot of debt and cant afford to hire them.

My question are
1.at what point prpsecutor would give out that kind of offer?
2. What should I do at arraingment without having this on my records?
3. Can all of thse be done in a day or I need other court dates?
I have clean record and this is my first time in court.

A donation? Exactly what kind of donation are you referring to?

Based upon your statements I doubt very much that you can handle this yourself. I would look into getting an attorney somehow.

A dismissal of the charge is hardly automatic.

I am a Retail theft consultant and answer questions like yours daily. You dont know if you can get a PD or not so go to court plead "not guilty" and ask for Public Defender. If you meet criteria great if not then you need to deal with this yourself. If that is case what you want is ACD or Diversion which works like a conviction with fines, probation community etc. However once you complete program your case is dismissed therefore no conviction record. Now these programs vary so you need to ask what your county's program entails

Thanks for the reply. If I'm not qualify for PD and have to do this myself. What do I need to do pleade not guilty and go to next court date? At what point will I ask for ACD or diversion?

Would you mind sharing in court? Were you got citation for petty theft? What did the judge asked?

Thanks for the reply. If I'm not qualify for PD and have to do this myself. What do I need to do pleade not guilty and go to next court date? At what point will I ask for ACD or diversion?

None of that is automatic.

Plead not guilty, ask the court if you qualify for a PD.

If not, I urge you to borrow the funds to hire one.
Why?
Without an attorney, this won't end well for you, mate.

Would you mind sharing in court? Were you got citation for petty theft? What did the judge asked?
You ask at your first hearing with the judge. Plead not guilty. Ask for a public defender. You fill something out and they decide if you qualify or not. If not find a lawyer somehow.

However realize that diversion (if you get it) can have stipulations. I did diversion for a speeding ticket. I was going 57 in a 40 (I thought it was 55 I didn't see the sign that it had changed). So I got a ticket of course. I went to the court house to county attorney office I think and I signed a paper for diversion. I had to pay $200 on top of the like $130 or whatever it was ticket. But as long as I didn't get another traffic violation in the following six months, it would go away. It would never count against my points on my license. I did. So you have to realize if you get diversion you have to stay out of trouble for six months or whatever they say or you're getting charged.

Maybe people need to just stop stealing stuff. I see these posts all the time and just think "how stupid are people?"

Diversion prgrams vary but your putting the cart in front of the horse. First plead not guilty and request public defender. If denied meet with several lawyers (most grant free office visit) ask how much they would charge and what your local ACD program (if any) entails.

You ask at your first hearing with the judge. Plead not guilty. Ask for a public defender. You fill something out and they decide if you qualify or not. If not find a lawyer somehow.

However realize that diversion (if you get it) can have stipulations. I did diversion for a speeding ticket. I was going 57 in a 40 (I thought it was 55 I didn't see the sign that it had changed). So I got a ticket of course. I went to the court house to county attorney office I think and I signed a paper for diversion. I had to pay $200 on top of the like $130 or whatever it was ticket. But as long as I didn't get another traffic violation in the following six months, it would go away. It would never count against my points on my license. I did. So you have to realize if you get diversion you have to stay out of trouble for six months or whatever they say or you're getting charged.

Maybe people need to just stop stealing stuff. I see these posts all the time and just think "how stupid are people?"
Thanks. so did you use a lawyer?

Thanks. so did you use a lawyer?
There is no guarantee you get diversion - and no I didn't use a lawyer. It was for a SPEEDING ticket. Why would I get a lawyer for a speeding ticket? And I was caught speeding. Just because I wasn't aware of my surroundings doesn't change the fact. I don't remember how I found out about diversion. I just remember going to county attorney office and I signed a paper, paid $200 on top of the fine and it said if I got in trouble for a similar or any other traffic violation in the next six months, the diversion was void.

You probably need a lawyer.

I went to court for arrangement today without a lawyer. The DA offered DEJ program to me. What I need to do is stay out of trouble until next court date (90 days), take theft class, provided DNA sample all cost me $300. After 90 days once I complete the requirements my case will be dismissed.

Update
I went to court for arrangement today without a lawyer. The DA offered DEJ program to me. What I need to do is stay out of trouble until next court date (90 days), take theft class, provided DNA sample all cost me $300. After 90 days once I complete the requirements my case will be dismissed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Update

Sorry, that's why you never resolve any criminal case without a lawyer.
You'll see why i say this in about six month to a year when things just aren't working out as you expect.
You've effectively surrendered your DNA without a conviction, but on a one sided plea.
But hey, if you like that deal, I'm happy for you, mate!

Back