Seeking Justice: My Journey Through an Adolescent Drug Treatment Facility.

SteakEggsMH

Jurisdiction
Georgia
I am going to paraphrase the email I sent to another attorney as it gives a pretty good idea of the situation, was just looking for a baseline to go off of. I am not sure if I can possibly build off a case like this, and if so, would it fall under medical malpractice or? There is so much information being left out as a fyi, I tried to just outline a couple main points.

**Incident Details:**

- **Timeframe of Engagement**: I was enrolled from approximately April/May 2020 until my departure on July 19th, 2022.

- **Locations Involved**: The incidents in question occurred at the Atlanta outpatient facility and Arizona inpatient facilities, though I am aware that they operate multiple locations nationwide. I was in the Atlanta outpatient facility, and "after care" for over 2 years. I attended the Arizona residential 45-day treatment when I was 16 years old, however 2 days before my graduation, I was asked to leave based on multiple false pretenses I was "on drugs". The 15,000$ that was paid to attend that facility was never given back. Instead, my family was told If I didn't go back to the Atlanta facility, I would never be okay.

**Nature of the Issues:**

- **Witnesses and Evidence**: There are over 25 individuals who can corroborate instances of abuse, manipulation, underage smoking, and sexual misconduct. This includes an incident where an employee was terminated for engaging in sexual relations with a client, which the company kept hidden from parents and patients. This counselor in particular was one of the directors.

- **Personal Health Impact**: As a direct result of the environment and practices at this facility, I am currently experiencing significant health and heart-related issues. This is partly due to being encouraged to use tobacco while under the age of 18. Despite the center's focus on adolescents aged 14-17, there were practices in place that actively encouraged underage smoking. The inpatient facility in particular provided cigarettes and other tobacco devices, which not only contravened legal age restrictions but also compromised the health and recovery process of the minors in their care.

- **Documentation**: There is substantial video and written evidence available that details the extent of the malpractices towards me specifcially, but also many others.

**Further Testimonies and Effects:**

- **Corroborating Staff**: Four former counselors are prepared to testify regarding the abusive practices and the psychological manipulation of adolescents within the facility.

- **Aggravation of Conditions**: My 45-day stay at the Arizona inpatient facility, rather than aiding in my recovery, exacerbated my drug-related issues, as confirmed by certified addiction therapists. We were encouraged to chain smoke our drug cravings away, as they provided me and the rest of the adolescents with a cigarette roller machine to "occupy" our time.

- **Financial and Educational Losses**: The manipulative environment fostered here has led to personal financial losses exceeding $20,000 in medical bills and the disruption of my high school education, I was encouraged to completely drop out, and isolate myself from anyone not a part of the facility's "support group".

**Cultural and Environmental Concerns:**

- **Facility Culture**: The culture promoted within the facility was detrimental, particularly for younger individuals admitted for minor substance issues, who were exposed to and influenced by older individuals with more severe addictions. They used isolation tactics to have us cut ties with the outside world, often being forced into conceding all social media accounts without a chance of receiving them back. Many of the older 18–25-year-old patients there with "Time sober" be tasked to hold onto their login info, but instead were found scrolling through not only mine, but countless underage snapchats.

- **Peer Pressure and Relapse**: The environment encouraged judgment and comparison based on substance use, leading to relapses and further manipulation to re-enter the program.

I am in the process of gathering more detailed information regarding my medical condition with the assistance of a therapist and two primary care physicians. There is potentially multiple diagnosed mental and physical illnesses I suffered as a result of my treatment. My blood pressure is currently sitting at 165 at 20 years old, with my doctor acknowledging the tobacco as a root cause. In addition, the parent support group underwent similar conditions, and my family, and others are willing to provide their evidence and accounts. I believe a conversation via video or phone call would be more conducive to explaining the breadth of evidence at hand.

I would just like a professional's opinion on the best course of action to take, as I am currently going through the absolute worst right now. I am not sure if this argument is valid, and if it is, how I can maximize my opportunity to bring this to light.

I would just like a professional's opinion on the best course of action to take, as I am currently going through the absolute worst right now.
You chose to abuse illicit substances.
Perhaps you chose to "chain smoke" tobacco.

Bottom line, we all reap what we sow.

The internet and it's attendant social media should be avoided.

You can hire an attorney by making an appointment with three or four. Visit the attorney, describe your dilemma, listen to the response.

The most useless thing anyone can do is blab all over Unsocial media about private, confidential, medical matters.

Back