Second time offense?

Pheobe Henry

Hello, about two years ago when I was a minor I was caught shoplifting in NYC and arrested. After going to court I got five hours of community service and went to a class. They said it would not go on my record. A few weeks ago I was caught for shoplifting again (about 40$ worth) this time in Upstate New York. My question is is there any chance that I will serve jail time? Im a full time student in college and I have no idea what I would do if I had to go to jail. Thanks for the help!

Hello, about two years ago when I was a minor I was caught shoplifting in NYC and arrested. After going to court I got five hours of community service and went to a class. They said it would not go on my record. A few weeks ago I was caught for shoplifting again (about 40$ worth) this time in Upstate New York. My question is is there any chance that I will serve jail time? Im a full time student in college and I have no idea what I would do if I had to go to jail. Thanks for the help!

Could it impact me if I told them(the arresting officers) about it? Also do you think diversion is what I got as a minor the first time or was it something else?

About two years ago when I was a minor I was caught shoplifting in NYC and arrested. After going to court I got five hours of community service and went to a class. They said it would not go on my record. A few weeks ago I was caught for shoplifting again (about 40$ worth) this time in Upstate New York. My question is is there any chance that I will serve jail time?Also could it impact me if I told them (the arresting officers) about it? Also do you think diversion is what I got as a minor the first time or was it something else?

Last edited by a moderator:
I am a retail theft consultant and answer questions like yours daily. A second offense can bring jail time but if your first offense was as minor and your now an adult the first offense wont likely impact you. Talk to a Lawyer see if you qualify for ACD or Diversion

Could it impact me if I told them(the arresting officers) about it? Also do you think diversion is what I got as a minor the first time or was it something else?

You won't end up in jail, THIS TIME.
Your juvenile record won't be used against you for your recent, alleged misdeed.

Plead not guilty, hire a lawyer, or request a public defender, work together to minimize the pain.

But, your second chances are running out. You must stop breaking their laws, stealing their junk, because they'll grow weary of your mea culpas.

Stop, get help if you need it, but behave yourself, because sooner or later (if you keep breaking their laws) you'll end up in one of their PENAL COLONIES.

About two years ago when I was a minor I was caught shoplifting in NYC and arrested. After going to court I got five hours of community service and went to a class. They said it would not go on my record. A few weeks ago I was caught for shoplifting again (about 40$ worth) this time in Upstate New York. My question is is there any chance that I will serve jail time?Also could it impact me if I told them (the arresting officers) about it? Also do you think diversion is what I got as a minor the first time or was it something else?

Please stop creating NEW threads to ask the same (or similar) question(s).
Your question has been answered.
If you have additional questions related to this question, ask those questions in this thread.
Multiple threads doesn't get you more visibility, it simply clutters the forum.

Yes it is important. What some people consider to be a "minor" is often different than what the law says.
Actually this is a good question. People will often confuse certain ages with what the definition of a minor may be under the law. For example, the ages 21, 18, 17 and 16 are very commonly used to define different rights and restrictions (or liberties if you look at it another way) and which the average person may perceive as being "a minor."

Back